Best weed whackers/trimmers for your BACK?! Ugh

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1Lawns, Apr 26, 2010.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

I don't think I'm alone in thinking..."If only I did'nt have to trim..I would'nt have to kill my back and I could just mow and blow...Save so much time and get much more work done.

Anyways, what do you guys recommend as the best trimmer to save your aching back? I simply can't take it anymore and had to hire someone as I just have too much work now.
    What do you guys do to save your back so you can trim if you have to? A lighter trimmer? A harness? What?

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you can use a bike handle trimmer with harness, you can go for hours on that. The down fall is you cannot really tilt the trimmer for steeper angle trimming, edging. But if you have a lot of tall weeds that you need to trim down, bike handle is your ticket. This is from one bad back to the other. I have a Honda HHT31SUNBA bike handle and a small Shindaiwa M242 for everything else. The bike handle is so comfortable I can keep going until I need to pee!!!

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

huskys or robin is what i use when my back goes out-lightest on the market

4. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Try out a redmax 2301. Its 9.5 lbs and 1hp.

5. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Tanaka TBC-260PFL is for guys who prefer to stand up straight while trimming.

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Sometimes in the spring I will use the strap/harness that comes with all trimmers, mainly because Im out of shape,and not used to using those muscles again, it really helps.

7. Merkava_4

I'm thinking the guys who first designed string trimmers were some short
    Japanese dudes ... and they designed the length of the trimmers to suit themselves.

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I always bend my knees instead of my back...kind of like squatting, but not as exaggerated. I guess I kind of look like a tool, but my back is never in pain.

9. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

Good advice but eventually no matter how hard you try, your going to have to start putting your back into it. Especially when it comes to edging of the drives and walks. This is the killer for my back.

10. Merkava_4