1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best wide area batwing mower!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ECLC, Apr 16, 2005.

1. ECLC

ECLC LawnSite Member

Who makes the better batwing mowers. Not the one that you pull behind your tractor, but the one that has the deck infront and the 2 drop down side decks.
  2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have a jacobsen HR 5111 and it is a cutting machine...all hydro driven (no belts) 4 wheel drive and cuts 10-11 acres a hr.
  3. ECLC

ECLC LawnSite Member

Can you get a good unit that is used, or are you better off buying a new one?
    Also is there a web site that sell used batwing mowers?
  4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We have a few of the Toro Groundsmaster 4000D. They have been good machines so far over the past 2 years. However in heavy grass they will slow down. I would also check out the John Deere 1600 Turbo units. They have the extra hp to handle heavier grass in my opinion and have on board diagnostic system to help troubleshoot problems, unlike Toro.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

4000 series Hustler is one bad mowin' machine!! :cool:
  6. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Check out Acre Ease. They build a great self powered pull behind that can be configured as a wing mower- gang mower.

Used a 61" with a 72" Kubota front mount F series. Gave it a 6" overlap, and after a little getting used to mowing & correctly resetting it up, I was mowing a big 12 foot swath at a hospital field in almost half the time.
    At a nice comfortable work pace!!!!!

Kept the initial cost down, simple pin hook up & disconnect, could 'trim mow' first, then wide area with alot of manuverability.

Initail cost about $3,300.
  7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I demoed one of these, but for the extra money they where asking, it wasn't worth it, I think it had a smaller motor also,
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a Bush Hog Tri-Deck, 11'. It's a pull behind, they come in 11', 15' and 22'.

I know Progressive makes another mower like that.

We use a Kubota 4330 tractor to pull it.

I don't know if you're looking for a self contained machine, or a set up like mine, but I figured I'd throw this in.

The nice thing about the Kubota, a couple of things, is that you can use the tractor for different things, plus you get a very nice cab with heat / ac, radio, "cruise".....

Whole setup was $38,000 2 years ago, tractor, mower, loader, 2 buckets, rototiller.
  9. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Toro 4500d or 4700d, won't scalp!