Best Wide Area Mower ??...In you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andyinchville, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,

I'm looking at doing several large properties this year (40+ acres each)....
    They are relativelly level and pretty much wide open. What would you consider to be the best wide area mower and why?
    I'd prefer to stay away from tractor drawn
    mowers..Thanks for your opinions.

2. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

What is the reason that you don't want a tractor drawn machine?
    I have no personal experience myself with one of these, but another guy from my area has a Kubota enclosed cab w/ a 16' Woods batwing. His commercial properties usually look pretty nice.

3. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Tractor drawn has the advantage of being more versatile (you can detatch the tractor from the mower and use the tractor for other tractor related tasks) BUT
    I think the disadvantages for a mobile operator (i.e. - having to service a number of different properties) in my situation would be basically weight and size.....
    A tractor in the 80 HP range would weigh a bunch....then you'd have to add the weight of the mowers too....I think the total would be more than my 1 ton wouod care to pulll......Also, I suppose the length of this combo would force me to buy and even bigger trailer....I have looked at a Toro 580 D (80 HP , 16 foot cut, approx 6500 lbs) With this there will still be enough room on my trailer to have a Ferris 3000 or 48" walkbehind (or I could take both...
    Walk behind in the bed of the truck
    3000 on the trailer).
    Finally, at least for me , I think looking backwards to see the mowing decks would be harder than having a large out front deck and some side wings.....
    I suppose w/ practice the pull behind could be OK tho.......Thanks for your idea tho'.....I have thought also thougt
    of adding a self powered wing or two to my zero turn....(of course I'd add
    a large hydro tank and a good cooler to make it easier on my wheel motors......it may be a scary combo on steep down hills tho')

Andrew

4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Iseki out fronts are what I'd be running. Two of them and a Z as a trimmer. 40 acres is alot a grass! I'm not sure if that combo would even be productive.

I'm looking at an Iseki for this year. I have demod and they are an exceptional piece of machinary (love everything you throw at em!).Demo an Iseki (enclosed cab) and see if it is the one for you.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Lastec! There banner is on the top of the page.
    John

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

4000 Hustler with range wings. 40 acres/day no problem.

7. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I use a Toro 580D, has cutting width of 16.5'. You can use front deck or either wing or all together. Very versatile. Not quite zero turn, it leaves an 18" circle uncut when turning, and I use it for a 115 acre property, and we cut it in a little over a day.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler wide area, Howard Price, Toro

9. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I had a howard price and it couldn't stand the beating. The decks were not very heavily made. The Toro is twice the mower and a very heavily built unit to withstand the rugged terrains.

10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 580D Simply The Best....Period.

Pete D.