Best, widest push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SILVERSTREAK INC, Dec 3, 2008.

1. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

hey, i may be picking up almost 350k worth of work commercial work this upcoming year

about 50% is going to be parking lot islands, or small pad sites (buildings surrounded by parking lot) with a small amount of grass (maybe 3' all the way around)

its currently done with a push mower, but i have always struggled to keep one in good operating cond. they get beat around the trailer, throttle and shut-off cables get broken, then ripped off and wheels are always a problem with getting bent off or broken

does anyone know of a good commercial WIDE push mower that does a decent quality cut with a bag? id like to make quick work of those parking lot islands, my 48" hydro can jump some curbs but with a bagger on it, will just be too wide

right now i have a crappy 23" craftsman which has worked well, small wheels which dont really get bent as easy, and yes, the shut off has already gotten ripped off, so now we use a stick to shut it off

i had a lawnboy last year, it lasted about a week before things got broken on it with the abuse these small mowers get put through

seems like those weedeater mowers are cheap, dont use a throttle cable yet still have a bagger

any suggestions? ill look into any brands

2. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Snapper or Honda

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i think exmark makes a 26'' mower

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Why not a 36" W/B?

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I agree there seems to be far more maintenance and repairs on the push mowers than anything else. The Metro 26 has been mentioned a lot on this site as having a lot of problems. You could use search and see if that has now been corrected. Also maybe consider the Quik 32 or 36 lightweight wb. Lot of praise here for Quik.

For wb's I got an aluminum ramp kit at Lowes and put some short 2 x 10's on them for the few curbs I have to deal with. Don't know if that would be practical with a huge contract and employees that lose stuff. A lot of guys here use the commercial Toro or Exmark 21's with BBC that run about $1200-$1400 and they are primarily bagging machines.

6. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

i was trying to find some pictures of some of the sites but i cant, some of these strips of grass are outragous, really hilly and stuff a walkbehind or anything with a longer stance would scalp, ive used 36's before and they just stuck, are like driving a boat, when you need that small, agile mower, and you cant really hang the edge without falling into the mulch bed (cause of the wide stance) also some of these are 10-14" curbs (some lots wont get paved for awhile) so ill have to carry around a set of ramps everywhere, so a push mower would be cheaper option and just as fast if not faster

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Just went to your site. You got so much big equipment it is no wonder the small stuff has got you stumped a little:)

8. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

At the shopping center near my house there are alot of small islands. I see the workers using commercial Toro's. I think they are 21" or 22". I strap my walk behind tight to the trailer so it doesn't get banged around.