1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best wing mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jan 28, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I guess wing mowers are the fastest possible way to mow a large area, right? So who makes the best one for reliability, ride comfort, and mowing speed? Thinking about making bids on large properties. Thanks for your help.
  2. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Here's a link to this topic, you can search the site:
  3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

there was 3 replies to that post...
  4. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Skip the WAM, use 72" mowers.

Do a search on my name, do a search on WAM.

WAMs have a time and a place, but not for weekly mowing if you've got to constantly transport them.

They weigh about 4000 lbs, at least the Toro 4100 I had, with an 11' deck.

It would fit on an 8' wide trailer, but was 16' long.

Plus, if you lose part of it, you're out the whole 11'. If you've got (2) 60" or 10' of mowers running, usually you can get a demo or have a backup if one of them goes down.
  6. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Jacobsen has them. 12' and can mow an acre in less than 15minutes.......Textron used to have the 6150 and 951D but were taken over by Jacobsen approx 7yrs ago. These units are big money!!!
  7. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look @ Lastec. I have run a couple of their big machines they are alot more reasonable than a WAM, plus they cut really well for a big deck. No scalping!
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

lwnmwrman22: - Aren't you using a pull behind this year behind your Kubota? How do transport this piece of equipment? Is this going to be more effeicent than the WAM you had or do you have other uses. I run our WAMS but I may put a 72 front mount out there or a 60 Z to tag team with the WAM. My lots are close so guys can drive them to locations. Where needed - load them up and they may sit there for a day. But with a mower going down - that is true. This past summer one wing deck kept cutting in and out - bad switch and pain to replace, work on and re-wire. I guess for me it comes down to versalitiy for mowers. WAMS are used everyweek but i also mow some large open lots every 2-3 weeks - depends on conditions.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, I run the 15' Tri-deck behing the Kubota. For me, this was a better option, since I also use the Kubota for light landscapng, firewood and snow work in the winter.

A WAM is a mower, that's it. If you can find a used one, which there are many around, it's not a bad investment to try, but if you have to buy a new one, you'd better have multi year deals.

A new 4100 Toro, or Jacobsen are going to run you between $40k and $60k, and that's the lower end models without cabs.

I just ordered a new Kubota M6040, 60 hp tractor with cab, heat, air, radio, "cruise", air ride seat, every option available and it listed out at $35k. The Tri-Deck mower can be picked up for around $12-15k.

I use a 26' flatbed to haul the tractor / tri-deck combo around. Yes, it takes a whole truck / trailer, unless you went to a 30' gooseneck, which I'm considering.

The tractor will travel 20 mph, so it COULD be driven from location to location, but I would rather haul.

Don't get me wrong, WAMs have their purpose, but for other uses outside of mowing, the tractor / pull behind combo, IMO, is the way to go.
  10. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Do you have pictures of your combo? Thanks