Best Work Hours in 95F Southern Heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John_99_2007, Jun 18, 2009.

1. John_99_2007

John_99_2007 LawnSite Member

What work hours do you find most productive in summer heat? It will now be 95+ for the rest of summer. Do you start early/end early or work mornings and evenings with a big 2-4 pm break?

2. marcuslawnguy

marcuslawnguy LawnSite Member

I don't know your mower set up but I run my scags as early as 7 or 8 and try to be done by 1 or 2 with a extremely tight efficient customer route. Just depends on how many hours you need to work a day. but definetely early mourning most people start getting stupid hot during 12-4 so why not try to be done by then. just my 2 cents. and if you have some walkends or extra little side jobs well you got some room to take on some extra. Remember the golden hours are 7-12 after that well it may depend on the worker. lol

3. John_99_2007

Do you have any problems with noise starting residentials at 7am?

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I start my first mow at 8 and end at 7 atleast 3 days a week the rest from 8 till noon. Alot of my customers want there **** cut before the weekend and not after the weekend. Some of them dont care.

5. VelociRaptor

VelociRaptor LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Alabama humidity will kill ya, 12 noon to 4pm is not the most pleasant.

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

9PM to 6AM

7. Edmonds Lawn Service

Edmonds Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I sometimes take 12 to 1:30 or 2 for my lunch and that gives a little break from the heat.

8. John_99_2007

Does anyone take long midday breaks(1-4) to beat the heat?

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've tried it every which way...
    First there ain't but so much work in this heat anyhow, that's the good news.

It has also been my experience, the hottest hours of the day are from 12 noon to 2p.
    Thou from 11a to noon it ain't exactly cool either, then at 2p it's as hot as it's going to get.
    You will not find me working outside during those hours on hot days, no way, no how.

I found the morning-to-noon deal the one I liked the least, although it is the coolest time of day but the entire time I'm
    wearing down it keeps getting hotter and hotter and I feel like I'm walking up a hill that keeps getting steeper...
    Plus, the real reason, I'm no morning person.

If I don't have too much work, I don't even head out of the house until 2.
    And I get to the customer's house it's hotter than hell but I'm fresh and ready,
    then as I wear down it starts to cool off, by 3pm the edge is off the heat.
    Then I work until dark.

I'll take mornings to do maintenance thou.

Other times I start around 9 and work till 11, then take a break.

All the time, 11-2 here thou, back in the old days I might have parked the truck under a tree and went snoozing,
    nowadays I usually head home and if I left the house by 4 it would be too late.
    I leave by 2 it's 2:30-2:45 by the time I get to the first house, usually, thou I've left as late as 3 before, 2 to 2:30 works better for me.
    Another reason to mow first LOL
    Shoot, 1 decent size lawn later it's 3:30-4 anyhow.

I guess I prefer evenings. :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Living in Houston, you should be used to it by now.

you will have to check the laws all citys have diffrent codes. here in Bellville/Brenham it rule is 6:00 AM.

we start at 7:00 am. cutting grass that is.
    Durring this time we work 10 to 12 hrs a day, NO weekends.
    as you know there are too many people moving around durring Sat/Sun, and people are at there homes/Businesses, depending on what type of Business.

on high humid days it's NOT unuseual to go through 7 to 10 shirts. and 3 to 4 pair of pants.
    most of the guys Just cant work in dripping wet clothes. it's very bad for the skin.

there's no use in making 2 or 3 trips somewhere. suck it up.