Best Worker had Blank Magnetic Signs in Truck

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by powerreel, Apr 14, 2001.

1. powerreel

powerreel Banned

What would you do in this case? Great guy who has taken on alot of our load, leader, smart, etc. Well in his truck, they drive them home @ night, looking for a label book I found blank magnetic signs that cover the co. name on door.His fuel bill is lower this year than last with more stops, but I guess he is getting some on the side. How do you handle this?

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Leave a boot print on his behind.

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough one.
    Tougher to let him go.
    But, it might be necessary.
    You may have to watch him abit.
    I hate when this type of thing happens.
    Whatever you do will not feel good.

4. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

That is a bummer.Kinda puts a pit in your stomach.

Good Luck

5. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Happened to me last year. Check the route sheets religiously and make them record times for the stops. You know how long it takes, follow him if necessary but find out. Confront and decide from there. First time shame on you and there won't be a second!

6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Might be an excuse for you to get one of those GPS for tracking vehicles. You can put it on your truck and they would never know. Then you wouldn't have to feel bad when you do the right thing and can him.

Or do like getmow and check logs with hour meters on the mowers.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

this might be off wall ....but when I was running my P%$zza Hut Delivery unit in DC ....I had a killer Driver ...he did it all & did it well ....during X-mas he would also work at Do$#@ino's ....I found out by seeing a sign in his truck ...we had a "talk" and I listened ....he needed more $$ ....I understood but he either worked for me or go ...it's a tough one but have a good talk ...outside of work time ....

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would show up at different times and check up on him. I would be my own private eye. Do your homework, and if he is up to something make an educated decision based on FACTS and deal with it. Remember, punishment isn't just for the wrong doer, its for the example to others as well. You will need to handle this swiftly and with authority or your other employees will not respect you.

9. Gordon

Gordon LawnSite Member

I'm with 65hoss on this one, deal only with facts. You know what happens when you assume something. There are two sides to every coin. So until you get some facts as to WHY the blank signs are in the truck, you really can't do much.

Yes he may be doing side jobs, or his wife might not want a company truck marking her driveway, or worse case he might stop by the gin mill on the way home and try to cover his tracks.

Once again this is only an assumption, it's also a few of the things that I've run into over the years. But you really don't or can't handle it until you get some facts as to what is what. You've got a good worker so don't go off half-cocked. You know in this day and age how difficult it is to get and retain good workers.

I dislike firing people, but if it needs to happen then it's for the best. Somtimes it is the only way to cover your own business.

My two cents
    Gordon

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree find out why, i doubt he does, but if he lives in a deed restricted community he may have to cover the name on the truck, and may not have told you because hes afraid of losing the priviledge of taking it home