Best worker is demanding more money

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by exmarkking, May 29, 2013.

1. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. Well I already let him go. I didn't appreciate they way he demanded double the pay from me. Also since he will never be able to move up due to no license, I figured he wasn't worth more than 12 an hour.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

Well said.

3. exmarkking

I agree
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

This has virtually nothing to do with basic math.

It has everything to do with who is running the company.

Never let employees dictate pay or other demands. You can work with them and should, but if they give an ultimatum, they're out the door.

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

You missed the whole point. It was not about what the OP should do but insight on to make decisions.

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I do not have a horse in this race. Does not matter whether the OP pays him more or shows him the door.

The best decisions are based on the bottom line. It has everything to do with math. Math applied to Dough Ray Me.

It is not about egos, who's the boss.

It is about the best decision.

No one would question the money paid to Jeter or Rivera. Great business moves.

A Rod. Mr Choke. Mr Never Clutch even in the regular season. Mr May II.

Talent over rated, and a salary that makes him way over paid.

7. twomancrew

When I hear a business person say "It's the principle of the matter" I always tell myself that in business it's always about "How cheap can I get out of this". Basic Math is a really useful tool for this approach. Keep pushing that mower telling yourself Math doesn't matter, I will take my Math and all my new $hit over principal or anything else anyday.

At home, it's all about principle. That's what makes us who we are as people. I get that.

If you can't put $ and business first go work for someone who does, it will be much more stable for you there.

It is always about $$ and simple math. More $ is good, less is bad. I got a spindle seal out on big girl so I got to go deal with that now. I hate sucking up fishline on this new Toro. Half the time it's ok, sometimes all the grease flings out.

8. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Based on the OP replies to various questions his employee or ex employee, I hope ? seems to have his boss trained well enough to do anything he wanted. No one who has ever worked for me ever demanded a raise from me, I would have shown them the door long before that could ever taken place. I hope this person is no longer employed by the OP. Remember as an owner operator of a LCC, your in charge of every thing, especially your employees.
    easy-lift guy

9. exmarkking

Have his boss trained well enough to do anything he wanted? I'm the op, and I beg to differ. This guy was a good employee but he was limited within the company due to no license. He has been let go. He never showed any signs other than for a couple of weeks was talking about buying equipment. I assume he thought he would test me and see if I would pay him alot more and if not he was going out on his own. I don't care if he goes out on his own, because he will have a rude awakening when he gets pulled over or sees that people don't hire people that don't speak good English. I doubt he would even be able to get a license or insurance but people like him are fly by night and don't bother. Good thing is he never spoke to any if the customers so I doubt he could take any accounts but who knows.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. twomancrew

Good for you. I'm glad to hear you made up your mind and took action. He can get liability for his business because agents will take the money. I doubt he can get a commercial auto policy(but he might!) That will prevent him from competing on any real work. I had to show my license here in IA to get my commercial auto policy going, but you can insure a car here without having a license. It will protect the vehicle in case it gets damage while you let it sit. I'm glad I took that step(and a few others) and the new work is more than paying for it. If he can't get his act together enough to drive no one reasonable will hire him, good call. He'll be back begging, cut his pay.