1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

best zero turn for hilly terrain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kdmach, Mar 10, 2002.

1. kdmach

kdmach LawnSite Member

looking for suggestions on buying best brand of zrt front or mid mount for mowing steep/hilly lake front properties. was considering grasshopper 721g2 w/ 61" cut for larger properties or the hustler shortcut which I don't know much about in a 48 or 54" cut. any input would be appreciated

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

27 views and no dixie chopper, lazer, or hustler owners jumping at the gun to respond yet?:D

I have a lazer hp 52 inch and it does fairly good on hills. I have not demoed others on hills so can not answer. I do know that for steep hilly lake fornt properties, when they are wet I would prefer a walkbehind. I have seen some guys on hills with ztrs when it was wet, that I would be leary of just walking on.:eek: :eek: :eek: Hopefully spome of the dixie or hustler or some other owners will reply.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Well..............
    This is your best zero turn on a hill....
    Yes it is a zero turn the two outside sets of tires go up and the unit will pivot on the center, making a zero turn.
    [​IMG]

If this is to much mower for ya, this is your next best choice....
    The Hustler Z or Super Z, they are awesome on hills, I will put this unit against any other mid mount unit on a hill anyday !!!
    Also available with a rops if needed.
    [​IMG]
    As far as the Shortcut goes, they are good on hills if you know how to run them right, add a set of atv tires (optional), and you can climb just about anything you want.

Later
    Pj

4. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Hustler Shortcut 48 that I am currently trying to sell. This is a solid mower, but it is not very stable on slopes.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i purchased a sentar last year and it does amazingly well on hills the engine is mounted on the deck so the weight is down very low.....i have tried stander,scag,exmark and dixies and this machine was better on the hills

try them all like i did on YOUR accounts to make the decision

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive have been very surprized at how well the lazer z will hold a hill.
    go up back dn. use wts on front to hold it down if the hill is real steep. take it very slow at first and after u get the hang of it,
    its about as good at hills as my walk behinds were.later now.

7. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Z252 and a WrightStander 61". Both do well on hills, but a walk-behind is still needed for extreme hillsides. You also have to develope your own feel/skill with the machine. First time on a Z I'm sure I looked drunk.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Walker 48" GHS unit that I will run on any slope that I can walk up. The only draw back is that you have to back up the hill because of the weight transfer. The drier the grass the better the traction.

Gene

9. PJ I want one of those 6400's!!!!!!

I see the two steering levers.

Dude get one of those 6400's PJ posted, I garuntee no problems mowing hills.

Best hill side mower = rope and a push mower.

Somebody post that pic with the guy walking next to the mower on a hill.

Second best is an Alamo mower.

10. Artman

Artman LawnSite Member

All reports that we have had on this end is that whenever the Hustler Z (or Super Z) is matched head-to-head with ANY other z-rider, the Hustler has proven to be far superior on slopes. We have yet to hear of ONE head-to-head comparision that claimed anything else.

Sure, we are a bit biased, but those are the reports from the field. It would probably be worth a demo of the Hustler Z or Super Z.