Best Zero Turn Mower for residential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeco129, Apr 30, 2010.

1. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for h elp/suggestions for a new ZTR for my personal use. I have about an acre of mowable lawn and am tired of my lawn tractor. Doing circles is getting old!

Many landscape contractors around here (Connecticut) have Scags so I have been looking at them. Can anyone tell me how the Freedom Z is? Also keep in mind I am planning on buying property in a few years where i will have 3-4 acres to mow. The Tiger Cat seems much better built than the Freedom Z and looking down the road it may suit me better.

What other brands should I look at? Toro, ExMark, Ferris or others??? What do you guys like about Scags... and don't like? Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck and don't mind spending $$$ for a product that will last me for years...

Thanks!

2. M.A.Landscaping

M.A.Landscaping LawnSite Member

hey joeco129 im from berlin CT and before i started my business i worked for a landscaper for 2 years and he had a cub cadet rzt 52 in. zero turn. it is not a comercial mower but it is great for cutting residential properties. its a great machine and costs about 3000 to 3500 brand new, the only thing that i dont like about it is that the blades shut off when you reverse but other than that i have no complaints about it.

3. PremierCrew2

PremierCrew2 LawnSite Member

Scag is a good mower and lays down some good stripes without a stiper kit, the only thing i've noticed between the scag and exmark which we have is you have to ride the foot pedal alot more to avoid scalping. Haven't used any of the others but exmark, I think both are good just depends on how much you want to spend.

4. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

Thanks... I'm trying to stay at $6K or less... You say the Scag has a tendency to scalp? The velocity deck seems impressive.

What model ExMark would say I should look at? There is dealer 5 minutes from me in Windsor Locks.

What's your opinion on looking at used ZTR's. Maybe a more commercial grade for a little less? Just no warranty....

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This morning this thread title caught my eye.

All you folks spinning around on your ZTR mowers got me to visualizing you at retirement.

You may eventually move to the Hoveround Forums

http://www.hoveround.com/

It looks like a ZTR to me.

:)

6. PremierCrew2

PremierCrew2 LawnSite Member

I would say in the long run if your going to be mowing a few acres or more all the time the commercials are way better and we have always bought used ones to save money. Our Scag has a velocity deck and I love it, thats the mower i pretty much always use it's just seems the deck is really light so when you hit a bump it smashes down pretty easy. If you check out exmark i would say look at a used lazer z, the new prices are pretty steep.

7. Shasta Lake Landscaping

Shasta Lake Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I you want a good value, check out snapper pro. Build and cut quality is right up there with the others.

8. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

9. astrohip

astrohip LawnSite Member

Look at Bad Boy. I am not a commercial LCO either, although I do mow a little more acreage than you. I've had my Bad Boy for about a year. Very well made unit, easy to maintain, easy to clean, cuts well. Lot of mower for the dollar.

I'll echo what you read above. It's always better to buy a better made unit, perhaps a little more than what you expect to spend, than buy a "residential" model, and have it under-perform.

I've bought two "residential" weed-eaters (big box store type names) over the last few years, only to have both go belly up within a year. Then I broke down and paid three times as much and bought a Stihl. I'll make the money back just from not having to buy a new one every 12-18 months. :hammerhead:

10. grass pro llc

grass pro llc LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Exmark Quest