1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Zero Turn Mower In the World?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman87, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

I am buying a new zero turn soon and it will be my first one bought for retail. Here is the criteria: deck size maximum of 50", must have fairly low center of gravity(the one I have now is scary as hell on hills), must have reputable engine like kohler or kawasaki, and must be a good value- I define good value as simply a machine that does what its supposed to. For instance, a blower is pricey but has good value becuase they blow really hard. Anyway, I dont know what to pick but Im leaning towards exmark as of right now. I am also entertaining the names of Scag, Gravely, Hustler, and Toro. What is the best z mower for me? If I'm going to pay that much for a mower I just want it to be perfect and its kind of new territory, right now I use a DixieChopper, its a beast but its old and stripes a little. I've owned a toro 37" for many years and have few fond memories of it, but the kohler engine was awesome. Let me hear some solid reccommendations. Thanks
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

You need to demo some units on the lawns you service, otherwise, our advice is worthless.

Start with brands you know and trust, and go from there. If you have fond memories of the Toro, find a dealer near you and demo one.
    If the dealers won't let you demo, even for a day, they are likely not big enough to stay in business for long, or are just plain not customer-oriented. Avoid these guys.

Finding a dealer that will work with you might involve a little leg work on your part, but you will probably be happier for it. It will cost you a little more also, as the guy that does everything right (from a customer perspective), will have higher costs incurred.

Oh yeah. Don't demo from one dealer and then price shop for the best deal on the model you choose. When the dealer you got the best deal from goes out of business, the dealer you demoed but didn't buy from will put you way down on his list of priority repairs.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

you will need to up your deck size to 54 or under not to many are 50 ....demo demo demo and dealer s that are close to you for repair work ....
  4. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We have Gravely, Hustler, and Toro down here in Waco. I'll make it worth the 1 hour drive!
  5. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Exmark Lazer HP 50" 2007 model with the bagger system and I love it. I have been on some NASTY hills and she is able to hold on well enough to get the job done. Last time I mowed a clients back yard hill I was running with the uphill front wheel off the ground...scary but with a little caution and creative "leaning" I did it...Anyway, I really love this machine...can't remark about the other brands tho...:drinkup:
  6. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

50" made by Dixon would be a good choice for you.
  7. 1st Choice

1st Choice LawnSite Member

Hey i'M near you down south about 30 minutes... ive demo recently alot of zero turns and each one has its strong points and weak points.. for what i do i found the 48 scag tiger cub with a 19 kaw would work for me.. and i havent been disapointerd yet right at 30 hours
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care what they say because mine is the absolute best and you can't have it.