1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Zero Turn Period.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jul 6, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag Is The Best But Expensive. Yazoo And Hustler Is All I Can Buy Now. And Out Of The 2 I Am Leaning Towards The Yazoo. Let Me Ask All Of You This...
    The Problems People Have With All These Mowers (any Brand) Is It More Of A Tractor Problem Or Is It A Engine Problem??????? Mine Has Been Engine Problems Like Coils, Starters, Charging System, Clutches. I Have Never Really Never Had Any Problems With The Actiual Tractors Of Any Brand Except The Steering Dampeners On The Exmarks. And A Cracked Deck On A Cub Cadet Comm.
    Another Question How Many Hours Are You Guys Running On Your Machine? I Always Sell Mine Around 1000 Hours But See Alot Going Up By 2000 Hours.
    And 1 More Question. Which Engines Do You Prefer (kawasaki, Kohler, Honda, Briggs) And Horizontal Or Vertical?
  2. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

My Answers :
    1kohler. 2kawasaki 3honda 4briggs.
    Kawasaki Coils Go Alot.
    Vertical Seem To Run Quieter And Smoother And Longer. Well Honda And Kawasaki Vertical... Horizontal Kohlers Run Longer
    But If You Look At Any Of These Mowers They All Are Built Good. And Most Of Them Use The Same Hydro Systems, Gears, Engines. The Only Other Thing About The Mowers Are There Spindles And Pulleys And Looks And Fell Are The Only Difference....
    If Only Some Company Made A Real Nice Electric Blue One. That Would Be My Pick As Best....
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Best Zero turn period?

Exmark. Period. Not Scag.
    The name SCAG says it all........................Just kidding.....LOl.
  4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Bring them eXmark's down here to the country. I prefer Kawasaki. I use the 29 Horsepower with Digital Fuel Injection. :) Anyway getting back to my point. I have to cut 4 foot tall lawns, where an exmark would just burn belts and my driveshaft will just power through it. :)
  5. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

you must either be smoking something, stupid or never tried a scag. Exmarks are horrible. They are built cheap and do not hold hill at ALL. The scags have great cut and holds hill better then any other mower I have used. Scags are built like a tank.

by the way I am j/k about the smoking and stupid part (maybe hehe) and hope you did not take offense to that part of my reply.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scags sets the standard by which all others follow.
  7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I couldn't possibly take it seriously.............Exmarks are horrible and built cheap?
    Again I won't take it seriously, I know better.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Look man, Yazoo is nowhere near in the same league as Hustler. Not in any department. I'm not telling you to buy one. I'm just trying to tell you not to make the same mistake I have and others have. DON'T BUY YAZOO OR HUSQVARNA.

I'd hate to see you end up like another member here Jerry and Sons. I tried to tell him the same thing. He didn't listen and bought one (Husqvarna). He was back here complaining within about a month.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

In all seriousness, I'm not impressed with the Yazoo's..............They've certainly gotten better than they've been, but the pricing on a Yazoo around here is no less than an exmark. Why would I buy a product with no where near the dealer support over an Exmark.
    I will throw a disclaimer in though............Yazoo dealers are not typically larger dealers, more like the local hardware stores around here...........
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

As I understand it, where Milo is at is Scag country and eXmark is getting stronger. But Yazoo's are real cheap. But Really... just as you said... it's not that way everywhere and the money is much better spent on something else.

As far as Yazoo improvements go, they peaked years ago and now they are rolling downhill fast.