Best Zero turn to buy for residential?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by joeco129, Apr 30, 2010.

1. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for help/suggestions for a new ZTR for my personal use. I have about an acre of mowable lawn and am tired of my lawn tractor. Doing circles is getting old!

Many landscape contractors around here (Connecticut) have Scags so I have been looking at them. Can anyone tell me how the Freedom Z is? Also keep in mind I am planning on buying property in a few years where i will have 3-4 acres to mow. The Tiger Cat seems much better built than the Freedom Z and looking down the road it may suit me better.

What other brands should I look at? Toro, ExMark, Ferris or others??? What do you guys like about Scags... and don't like? Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck and don't mind spending $$$ for a product that will last me for years...

Thanks!

2. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler Fastrack? Toro Titan?

4. Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

Scag TC is a great mower and truly a "commercial" mower and will serve you well for a long time. Your question is asked all the time and you'll certainly get a lot of recommendations on brands. DA is right, there are many brands which will be excellent purchases but the best advice is what is sold and serviced in your immediate area? You will certainly need parts and possibly service in the future. Do some legwork and shop for your best deal, a model that feels right, has local support and buy the best mower you can afford. I would stay away from "promo" models like the Scag TC. Many people say the Briggs ELS is fine but you do sacrifice things like flat free front tires, foldable ROPS and the adjustable levers but as you are the only one using it you will probably never move them after you get them where you want them. Spring for a unit you won't be disapointed with. After initial "buyers remorse", I've never regreted buying quality. Good luck to you.

5. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input... When you say "promo" do you mean all the Tiger Cat's are promo models? Do some have flat free front tires and some don't? The one I looked at was a TC 48" with a Briggs and i am leaning away from Briggs. I think the Kohler is a better engine.

6. Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

For awhile, Scag was offering a T/C "promo" model which had pneumatic fronts (which can and do go flat), a fixed ROPS, fixed levers and the Briggs. It was designed to get the residential/ light commercial market at a low price point. I assume they still offer this machine but can't say for sure. The Kawi and Kohler are the best engine choices to be sure. Don't be fooled by HP ratings though. The torque is what does the work. A Kawi on that mower is 19HP, Kohler 23 and the Briggs a 26. 7 more HP on the Briggs compared to the Kawi means nothing and frankly, the Briggs doesn't even come close to the Kawi or Kohler's quality in my opinion.

7. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

I agree with you about the engines. What do you like better the kawi or Kohler? I think I am leaning on the Kohler... I have had them on other mlachines and have had no issues besides regular maintenance.

8. Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

My Scag has the Kawi and I love it. I've had Kawis on other equipment as well and I think they're the best engine out there. I have had Kohlers on smaller equipment and think they are top notch as well. My 19 HP has plenty of power to run the Scag 48". When it came time to put either a clamshell bagger or a tow type collection system on, I did worry about the clamshell as it was what we call spindle driven thereby a power hog on the mower which I didn't want and opted for a Trac-Vac. However, others on this forum say the 19 Kawi with a clamshell works fine. Either engine is going to be excellent especially for a homeowner such as yourself. You're going to get many years out of a good commercial unit like you're looking at. Again, I'd recommend shopping around a bit so you really know what works best for you and your pocketbook. There are LOTS of excellent mowers out there.

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Only an acre?
    Get a 22" push w/ oversize rear wheels.
    Just consider every mowing your cardio workout for the week! :cool2:

10. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

Oh so funny!