Best Zero Turn Tractor???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by emagma, May 24, 2004.

1. emagma

emagma LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have 4 acres that has ditches and some hills (not real steep). I am looking for a good zero turn that is easy to use and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I am a female that does most of the mowing. My husband would like to get a commercial grade zero turn. We have been looking at Toro Z Masters and Cub Cadet Tanks. But then looking at Consumer Reports, they are not all that great. Any suggestions out there?? Right now we are using a smaller Craftsman lawn tractor, not real good in the ditches and I am afraid of tipping over.
  2. emagma

emagma LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I also need something I can put a snow blade on......
  3. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I have never seen consumer reports on commercial equipment. I have a walker and you can put a blade on them but the walker is a bit priceeee. I have a toro z master and it holds up real well with out any problems. I do not know if there is a snowblade out there for a regular Z but you sound like a home owner and a toro z will last you many years. I would buy a mid priced Z and a old tractor with a frontblade for snow. Remember get as much horse power as you can afford it always comes in handy. Do not buy a 18hp with a 44 in deck. If you ever get in high grass one time you will wish you had the horse power. Look my opinion and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee and you will still have to pay the tax.
  4. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

A front mount Grasshopper will take a snowplow but not sure how well it will do on your ditches.
  5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i have a front mount grasshopper and it sticks to some hills and i cut some crazy ditches its all about what you know you can do and what you cant? i love my grasshopper for snow we have the blade and the thrower
  6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Since you're in Iowa, you might check out I demoed a 19hp 48" JAZee that had no trouble with my 3-4' tall back section. The dealer offered the demo for under $4500. Although this is actually an 'estate' model, the heavy duty fabricated deck (flips-up for easy maintenance) and 19,000 fpm blade tip speed are definitely commercial grade. The available single joystick control is more convenient than a twin-stick (but takes getting used to). A snowplow blade and bagging system are available. Good luck!
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with a grass hopper if your going to spend the money. But woods mowing machine is the same thing, just different paint and a cheaper price. Both will hand some hills and can push snow.
  8. hawkguy

hawkguy LawnSite Member

Paint isn't the only difference. I believe Grasshopper stopped making machines for Woods around 1994.
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would almost be willing to bet that those consumer reports are on residential ZTR's. I would agree with them if those reports are on the residential cub cadet ztr's and the toro residential ztr's.

However when you are talking about the commercial Toro's and Cub Cadet Tanks that is another matter.

I have a Cub Cadet M54 Tank w/23 HP Kawasaki and they named it right when they call it a tank. No complaints at all from this owner.

10. Mowpower

Mowpower LawnSite Member

I just bought a Hustler 20/52 Fastrack which is like a borderline commercial unit, for the homeowner. It is nice but pricey $5200 I checked out the Cub Tank 48 it was $6200 I really didn't want to go over 5K. The Fastrack might be a bit small for your 4 acres but may be ok, the Hustler miniZ is a commercial unit priced at $5999 nice I was going to go with that but I only mow 1.2 acres. Anyway Hustler has a big sale going until the end of May I saved $700 bucks, the Mini Z is $1400 off or better, click on the sticky by Mowerconsultant.