1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best ZTR choice for 1 acre lot??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howard Roark, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Hey guys,

My good friend just bought a house with a 1 acre lot, and due to my lack of experience with ZTR's I thought I'd hit up the experts on here. He wants to buy a ZTR to just mow his property, so what's everyone's recommendations on either a top end home owner model, or lower end commercial ZTR, somewhere in the 48" range? Here in Texas he'll get about 32 mows per season with it, and cost is somewhat an issue, but we want to get him the right mower also.

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I would recommend a Bad Boy ZT or Scag Freedom. Both are suitable for homeowner or commercial usage, but aren't overkill on the price. The Bad Boy comes standard with an electric deck lift, a fabricated 7 gauge deck, 1.5" cast iron spindles, and ZT2800 transaxles. Engine choices are a 26hp Briggs ELS and a 23hp Vanguard, and they're priced from the mid 4s on up to the low 5s, depending on the cut and engine choice. If that's all he's mowing, I'd say go with a 50" cut. Either engine choice would be fine (about $400 difference in price between the two). We sell alot of the ZT 23hp/50" at our store.

The Scag Freedom isn't quite as good a value as the Bad Boy, but is a quality option as well. You can get the Freedom in a 48" or a 52", with engine specs like a 19hp Kawasaki, or the same 26hp Briggs ELS that Bad Boy offers. Both are fine choices. It will have a manual deck lift (foot assist), a 10 gauge deck (with reinforcement I believe), and will run a little faster than the Bad Boy at 8mph to the ZT's 7mph. The Freedom also has ZT2800 transaxles and is priced similarly to the Bad Boy. I don't know the pricing offhand. We're a Scag and Bad Boy dealer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and there are others across TX as well. Good luck!
  3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thanks very much for your input!
  4. tb8100

from TX

No problem! :usflag:
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW a ZTR for just 1 acer....

I would go with the home depot toro model....it will work Great for ya "or him"

and it wont break the bank.
  6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Just about any of the 48" to 52" decks would be fine on any ZTR that is a Commercial unit. Hustler, Gravely, Toro, etc. Buying a commercial unit and using it in homeowner service just extends the time before failures. 35 cuts per year at about 1 hour per cut would lead to never replacing the whole mower in the owners lifetime. Tires, belts, blades, seat, and batteries excluded. 2000 hours out of a mower isn't unheard of. At that owner's rate it woul be over 55 years before the ZTR hit that many hours. Up until 5 years ago we put about 110 hours per year on a 1980 Gravely mower in homeowner use. It now has over 2500 hours on it. Still runs but I like the one with the 60" deck better. It has about 3700 hours on it but is on its second engine.:D
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

What homeowner needs a ZTR for mowing just a 1 acre lot once a week or so ?!? :confused:(unless they're physically disabled...)

All they'd need is a 36" to a 48" walk behind mower, either belt drive or hydro, and they're all set.

Plus when they're done mowing they can walk in the house and say they'd had an aerobic workout, vs. just sitting on their duff on a ZTR.

And that, of course, along with other smart 'life decisions', will probably help keep the ol' ticker in the chest pumping a few more years !!!
  8. tb8100

from TX

I agree, buying a WB would be a cheaper and healthier choice, but it would certainly take longer than a Z. Sure, you could buy a Home Depot Z, but in the end, it's best to go commercial, if nothing else for the quality spindles, hydro transaxles, and engines.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Howard , Why not save his monay and get a WB and velkey ?? If that's not an option then I would look at the Scag and Exmark....Exmark being my Z of choice !
  10. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

And where is home depot's service department????