1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best ztr choice?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lawndoc, Apr 22, 2004.

1. lawndoc

lawndoc LawnSite Member

this is my first thread. i've read several on the website and am still unsure of what brand of mower would work best for me. i've got approx 5-6 acres of flat ground with an occasional tree and one swingset to avoid. i've been looking at the 60" deck ztr's to keep my mowing time down. my first dealer suggested a simpl. since it was a residential job despite having exmark and scags in the show room. when i told him i would like attachment versatility for moving snow (200 yd gravel driveway),spreading seed/fertilizer, and aerating he suggested a frontmount grasshopper. either way was about $8000-9000. should i take his advice or are non-oem attachments just as usable on midmounts. by the way, the jd/ferris dealer is 500 yds down the road from this dealer-do i head there?

2. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

I think that 5-6 acres takes you out of the residential market ... I just don't think they'll hold up for that kind of acreage.

A ztr will pull attachments (aerators, spreaders). They can also push snow, but it's price-prohibitive, because not enough people buy that kind of attachment to keep the prices down.

I would recommend to you a 2004 Exmark Lazer Z 60" 27 hp, along with an $800 MTD walk-behind snow blower.
  3. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Lawndoc, if you decide to go the ZTR route, look for a Country Clipper dealer before you decide. I found some good info in this forum and a nearby dealer. I've only got 2+ acres and found the 42" JAZee ($4000) could handle my tall thick stuff in about 1.5 hours. The larger engines (Kawi/Kohler) and 48/52" inch decks approach $5000. The full commercial Charger (just out with attractive intro pricing) goes up to 25 hp/60" for just over $6000 (pivoting front axle and 4 yr commercial warranty). All CC models feature convenient flip-up decks and twin- or single joystick controls (felt weird at first, but now I'm sold). Good luck...