Best ZTR engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnandplow42, Apr 3, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the best engine brand for ZTR's? (kawasaki, briggs, kohler, etc.)
    thanks

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Thats like asking which truck is better, Chevy, Ford or Dodge. They are all 3 good engines. When you say Briggs I assume that you are talking about the commercial grade vanguard series. All other briggs engines are lighter duty engines for occasional use applications such as homeowner grade equipment. We have several kohlers and haven't had any serious problems with them. We just bought a new IS 3000 Ferris ztr with a liquid cooled Kawasaki and so far it seems to be an excellent engine.

3. jchil1qw

jchil1qw LawnSite Member

I would have to agree with the previous comment from Travis. I can tell you that I have an older model three wheel Scag that has a Kawasaki with about 3000 hours on it.. The motor does awesome. I also have an Exmark ZTR that as a Kohler Command that does well. It really is like Chevy and Ford its a matter of personal opinion. I would have to say that Kawasaki has my vote.

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki or Kohler. No briggs and vanguard.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I will take a Kawi over any right now. From the data I hear on the new big block Briggs, don't count them out. They should be one very very good motor.

6. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

May I rephrase that to best-equipped engine for a ZTR? LOL! :angel:

Ok let me explain… :eek:

We have five DC’s left on our fleet with the oldest one being a ’94 and they all have the Kohler command. :sleeping:

Moreover, even though some people express concerns about them, I have none, b\c we have yet to rebuild any of these engines, even thou they obviously don’t get the care they should. :cry:

BUT (thank goodness for this BUT! LOL!) Dixie has equipped these engines with the canister type air filtration system, Amsoil filter and oil cooling system.

PS

Oh yeah…the hour meter on the last one I’d seen had to be replaced due to water damage, and could not be read. :sleeping:

Hope that helps! :drinkup:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::