Best ZTR for $6000 or less

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Elkbow, Sep 5, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What do Cadet Tanks typically sell for??
  2. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

My local dealer said that the M48 new is $6200.00
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

19hp on a 52" deck is decent. It's not the greastest in the spring or in thick wet conditions but it will do a good job. Go with the highest power option you can go with.

Why not also look into financing a mower. Many manufacturers have 0% for 24 months or something like that when you finance through sheffield financial.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

23/48 Tank $6200
    24/48 Scag $5999

A new Tank is a little out of your budget unless you can do some negotiating.
    Otherwise it pretty much seems like a toss-up.

I'd demo both and consider both dealers.

(? Do you have a good Gravely dealer in your area ?)
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Cub tank and the Scag are both good quality mowers.See if the dealers will arrange demos, and what each dealer's prospects are for quality after the sale support.

As far as the Briggs engine goes, If the Briggs is a Vanguard it would compare favorably to the kawi, non Vanguard Briggs go with the Kawi. Although I have to say in 05 Kawi quality control went south for us, many problems with brand new Kawasaki engines.
  6. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

How about looking through classified ads and getting a used one from an individual and saving a few thousand? You may have to travel though.
    For example, here is a ztr in the lawnsite classifieds there are probably others as well.

I don't know the seller and don't know the machine so it may be a bad deal. It is just an example

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a MINI-Z 52"/19 KAW. I love the unit for the cut and size. My bud has a 52" Super-Z and both mowers cut great, can't tell any difference. My ONLY regret is not getting a bigger engine. The 19hp is adequate at best.

I paid $6200 out the door for the Mini-Z, susp seat, and hitch kit.
  8. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

1. no one really has a snapper so take that out.

2. kubotas are very expensive so take that out as well.

also u need it right away?
    if not save some more money and get a better ztr.
    also i dont know how much brush hogs cost but Jmurphy (sp?) has one 52".
    if u dont mind getting a used one look at ebay.
    also if u have a gravely in your area you could get a 144Z really nice machines. and i think they might fit your budget. JMO
    good luck on your purchase:waving:
  9. texaslawn

texaslawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Does Arien's mower's not sale anywhere but texas? I just bought one brand new for 2999.00. As long as you get the one with the heavy duty decks on them they are just as good as anything else you can get.
  10. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a Toro 400 Estate 19KAW 52" deck. I am 100% happy with it. Has all the power I need. Not once did I ever think the engine was too small. I picked the Toro because I wanted a strong deck. That is the first thing I destroy on a mower. The Toro deck is made out of 7ga. steel. Top and sides. Strongest deck in the price range. $5,699. This is a commercial mower. Not a home owners model.

You can see a pic of my mower at
    3rd message down