Best ZTR for $6000 or less

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Elkbow, Sep 5, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

are gravelys worth it? They sell em on speedway sales for $6200 for a 48" w/ 19 kawi.

2. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

I have been offered a brand new Hustler Z with a 60" XR7 deck and 23 hp Kawasaki, Flex Forks, and a Personalized Bumper with my name on it for $6799 including tax. Is this a good deal? Is it a good mower for use in Texas? Does it really need a bigger engine, or is 23 hp enough?

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler is a good company... not one better I don't think.
    They seem to do their best to take care of their customers.

If it was a Super Z I would laught about 23hp. Most of those owners are complaining about 27-30hp not being enough. The fast drive system takes a lot of power they say.

If I were buying a Hustler, it would be the Hustler Z XR7 like that one.
    I don't need to go 15mph.

But for my application here, I need more than 23hp. I have 25hp now on a 60" and that's enough for regular work. But there are times I work it hard and wish I had more.

The XR7 deck has exhibited some cutting problems, but it seems that's in northern turf. Research it, but I think the guys cutting warm season grasses are happy.

So if you cut all weekly lawns and do not have much that grows fast where you have to cut off a lot, you might be OK so much of the time with the 23hp that it really wouldn't matter. A lot of guys are satisfied with them, else they would not make them you know?

I guess a good guide would be that if you thought the 19hp 52" had plenty of power, you would be happy with the 23/60 power. The HP to Deck ratio is actually a little better on the 23/60, plus due to the longer blade length they are able to gear them lower at the pulley and still achieve the same tip speed. So it would feel a bit stronger and take a bit more load to pull it down.

As for the options, I have no experience with the flex forks, but I still think the full suspension seat would be my choice for the most important accessory. I think I'd rather have that than the flex forks and personalized bumper.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

For a 60" deck, the Minimum HP I would want is 25. YES, 23 hp on a 60" IS UNDERPOWERED IMHO!

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Our local dealer is advertising a JD 717A for 5995 brand new. One of the best mowers I ever owned non barred.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

They have made some changes that I do not like to the 717 and 727.

7. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

just go to lowes or home chepo and buy 2 for the price of one lol

8. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

just go to lowes or home chepo and buy 2 for the price of one lol

9. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

For the price of some of the professional models, ($8000+) that might be a cheaper way to go in the long run!

10. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

So if the machine isn't going to be used commercial I don't believe it will be THAT big of a deal if you got a slightly underpowered machine. Do you not have the time to buz over the property a second time if things get hairy. I'm just saying you are not RELYING on power its just a convenance. The Mini Z should do the job great for you. The Scag should do it just as well. The Tank... probably no different. Sounds like you have a decient dealer down there. Mine won't let you get out the parking lot with a machine unless you buy it. I vote the Hustler or Scag you will be satisfied with both.

Also If you have a Walker dealer down there look at the MB. You can get that with a 48" side discharge deck for around $5500-$6000. Later you can get a 56" deck for it for around $1800. Not to mention you can get attachments for this machine.