1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best ZTR for large residential use

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bhogan, Oct 9, 2007.

1. bhogan

bhogan LawnSite Member

I have just acquired a property with 4.5 acres of grass. the yard is mostly wide open with some rolling hills. The previous owner used a commercial operator who used a combination of walk behinds and ZTRs. It seems as though every mfg. has jumped on the ZTR bandwagon, so finding the best ZTR for the money is confusing. Most dealers recommend the commercial line, but I'm wondering if you stay with the good mfg.s like, Deere, Cub, Bob Cat, Skagg, etc, that this line might be ok for a residential user. I know to stay away from the big home improvement stores.

Anyway, I need some advice on what to look for in a ZTR that will meet the needs of a large property, but not overkill. Any thoughts on the Country Clipper line? Looking at the commercial guys trailers, I only see Xmark, Deere, Skagg, Ferris, and some Toro.
  2. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Have U looked into Hustlers? A 60" Z or better yet a 60" Super-Z w/a kohler 28efi? Yea these are higher-end commercial mowers...but a used one could be just the ticket. I happened upon a Super-Z 60 w/the kohler 28efi that had 1100+ hours on it(04) model...for $2750.00 I spent around 200.00 on new anti-scalp wheels, a couple of cans of paint,(hustler yellow...$14.50 a can!) a couple of new filters & i'm set for years of mowing. I mow 7+acres & i'm kicking myself for not buying one sooner. I used to cut this with a old dixion 42 in ztr & a old ford tractor w/a 5' shredder deck. Needless to say, i cut my mowing time by 2/3!!! Search this forum for some of my posts for pictures of this mower right after i painted it. Search for threads by PEVO
  3. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle LT2700-60D. My only complaint with it is I run out of grass to cut too soon!

When I first got mine back in June(?), my grass had not been cut for probably 3 weeks (read at least 12" tall in places). The DC was an absolute beast in that tall, wet grass. After I let dry, I hit it again a couple more times, and was left with very little I had to rake up.

Before I got mine, I had heard/read all the complaints and negative comments about DCs from a few different forums, and was initially not going to even entertain a second look at them. But fortunately for me, I not only looked again, but demoed and bought one. The truth prevailed.

In hindsight, I now believe most of these derogatory statements about DCs to be either extremely out-dated experiences, or out-and-out lies. In fact, when I posed just such a question (Due to every company's commitment to continuing improvement in product development, when does one's experience with a particular make/model no longer hold any vaildity?), I received no answers.

For me, the DC was easily the most bang for the buck. I had looked at most other makes' small frame, full hydro not IZT, 60", min 23hp, and had pretty much narrowed it down to a Scag Tiger Cub (yes, they do actually make a 23hp 60" Cub - a model my local dealer actually didn't know was offered), and the LT2700-60D. The Scag was $1500 more, had at least a two week leadtime, and was not, despite the manufacturer feeling otherwise, considered by the dealer to be a good combination (they tried to sell me a 48" floor model instead). The DC dealer had probably two of each LT, and I lost count all the Coatesvilles, in stock. Okay, let me get this straight: more HP for less money, and it's in stock. Hello! This is a no-brainer. I checked one out a Saturday, demoed on the dealer's lot and bought one on the following Thursday, mowing my lawn by 1:30 Friday afternoon, and grinning from ear-to-ear by 1:31. Come to think of it, I'm still grinning every time I mow the lawn.

Check one out for yourself. If you like it and the dealer, buy it; if you don't, go someplace else.
  4. Landude

Landude LawnSite Member

I bought a 52" County Clipper in July. Cutting two acres, it's a great machine.
    Joystick control and the deck flips to the front to clean or change blades. Take em all for a ride and find one that fits you.
  5. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

You need to demo 2-3 different brands to get a "feel" for the handling & quickness response of the sticks. I demoed a dixie chopper & it was a cutting beast,...But with it's rear tractor thread tires & fast respone sticks, It would tear up my turf every time i turned + the deck would snag my chainlink fence & rip it to hell (it acted like the fence wasn't even there) But the cut was good. So i settled on a 15mph hustler instead.
  6. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

I cut roughly 8 acres with a TORO and love it, (283L) 60" deck.

I agree with the other post that said to try and demo as many as possible. Even if you purchase the least expensive ZTR your still going to be spending a lot of money. Better get something your really comfortable with.

What ever you get, make sure you have good dealer support for it.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a lot of good machines out there! Local support is important! As far as country clipper I am impressed with them and in my area they are getting popular fast! I am seeing more cutters using them all the time and everyone seems real happy with them. I have demoed one and I was supprised and impressed with the machine! They are definetly built stronger than first impressions! Probably the best kept secret in the ztr buisness!
  8. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

This is what i bought to mow up to 10+ acres. I mow between 5-6 every two weeks(during the growing season) & the rest about once a month. This is a 04 model Hustler Super-Z 60" kohler 28efi with 1100hrs on it when i bought it. I spent $2750.00 for the mower & spent a extra 200+ bucks on all new anti-scalp wheels, touch-up paint, filters..etc. I me it was money well spent!

9. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

You got an awesome deal on that. It looks Brand New!
  10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

How much are you looking to spend? Do you have to have new or would you settle for used?