Best ZTR for mowing fields, tall weeds, trails?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rochenyguy, Aug 14, 2005.

1. rochenyguy

rochenyguy LawnSite Member

Help, I'm planning to buy a ztr for mowing my yard/acerage (ex-corn field actually), probably a 25hp-27hp with 60" deck. I'd like it to be able to mow fields and cut trails through tall weeds and even light brush. I know some ztr's are better for smooth, lush lawns, etc. Mine lawn's bumpy, with tall weeds and on trails some brush. I don't need golf-course cut quality, average ztr quality is fine. What's everyone's opinion on the best ZTR for such heavy cutting needs? What ztr's should I stay away from for this kind of use?

Thanks.

2. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

they say that a dixie chopper will cut anyghing because of the blade speed. my cousin has a 27 ./ 50inch cut that will cut anything he puts it in. althougfh it is not a bush hog he treats it as such and from time to time abuses the machine in my opionon. however its his so he is welcome to do so. he had 60 in cut to start with and traded for the simple reason the 50 " cut has to throw out less gras/brush than the 60" thus taxing the 27 kohler a little less. believe you me it does cut some thickkkkkkkkk stuff. maybe a diesel would fit your application better or maybe a small tractor with a finish mower. although won't be as quick or compact as a ztr. dixie has a 31 hp generac i think available on there 60" extreme as well. and hustler has a 34 cat deisel avaible on the super z with a rear discharge deck that will power through the thick stuff. good luck

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We do code violation properties and have used our Super Zs to cut down waist high grass and weeds. They did a good job, but not what any z should be doing. I would think for your application a compact tractor with a bush hog would be the answer.

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm no expert, but just noted your post, and no replies yet, so thought I'd respond. I suspect any commercial quality mower will cut through the rough stuff OK, but not sure about the "light brush" thing. Light brush to one person might be Bush-Hog fodder to another. Anyway, as long as it is limited to weeds and grass, I'd think any heavy-duty mower would be up to the job, if you take it slowly enough the first time. I own a Gravely, and love the hydraulic deck because it is easy to change cutting heights when doing something like mowing rough ground.

Also saw you were from Rochester. One of my best friends lives there, retired from Eastman-Kodak last year. I'm hoping to get up that way for a visit and turkey hunt in the next couple of years with him and another friend who lives at Sodus Point.

Now, maybe someone will answer this post who really knows what he is talking about. :) Neill

5. stboo6

stboo6 LawnSite Member

little off topic here..Metro how do you price your code violation properties ? I have to finalize bids on 26 properties tomorrow. Thanks for any help you can give..

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like the perfect application for the SuperZ rear discharge machine!
    Or you could go bigger and get the diesel Hustler, JD 997 (do a search), Iseki/MF have a new ztr out also that "we" can get a RD deck for over here! Dont know about you lot!

I would just check out the normal Hustler SZ RD machine first, as will save you $$$$ and do the job!

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I think a Dixie would be the best. Lots of power and very strong to stand up to the rough ground. There knobby tire will help too. Good Luck!

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How much do you want to spend?

9. Bush Hog

Bush Hog LawnSite Member

I have a M2560 Bush Hog ZTR and I have mowed some pretty thick off lawn areas. My father also has The M2560 as well as a friend. I have been extremely satisfied with the Bush Hog mower. You need to take a look at one of these. It's built very heavy duty, and priced below most other comparable mowers. My father has 500 hrs on his with zero problems, and believe me he puts it to the test. I believe if it will push it over he will try to mow it.

10. rochenyguy

rochenyguy LawnSite Member

Looking to spend between $7000 - $8500. Prefer ztr over tractor or brush hog because much of what I mow I could use the speed on and lots of trees to mow around. Just want something heavy duty that I wouldn't be afraid to take into those rough mowing areas (slowly).