best ZTR for northern grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zim bob the landscaper, Mar 2, 2008.

1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the best ZTR with good cut and a good value for northern grass. i was thinking Scag, Badboy, Dixiechopper, and toro. what others are good for up here in the north that i can look at?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

In no particular order

Exmark UltraCut
    John Deere 7 Iron II
    Gravely X-Factor
    Cub Cadet Commercial
    Toro Turbo force

I cut nothing but northern grass. 70 residentials a week. Out of the ones you listed the ONLY one I would even consider would be the Toro. I have watched 2 different dixie choppers in action and they were horrible. Streaks standing up on every strip and clumps of grass falling out of the deck all over the yard. As a matter of fact the one crew watched me cut next door for a half a season with no problems what so ever and they went and got a new Cub Commercial Tank M60 and got rid of the Dixie chopper.

BadBoys cut quality to me is still questionable. It hasnt proven itself yet. Our Scag cuts like crap and the newer ones may cut a little better but I see scags being used all over this area with the advantage deck and velosity deck and honestly im not impressed. Its not terrible but just not a real clean sharp looking cut.

3. zim bob the landscaper

alright thanks ill look at all those mowers maybe this week.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Have you demoed one yet? It can't prove itself for you. You have to mow with it first! :waving:

5. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

what mowers do they sell where you live? i wouldn't buy a machine if a dealer was 100 miles away, unless you're gonna stock parts in case of a breakdown, buy a mower with local parts and service.

is there really that much difference between cool season and warm season grasses when it comes to mowers? i don't recall mine being advertised for "northern cuts only"

but if it does make a difference my john deeres with 7-iron decks cut excellent here.

6. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

ZIM - your 15 mins from me- I live on the other side of ashby

Ferris- Deere- Hustler-Exmark
    Exmark dealer in Mason NH off RT31--- NO TAX

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I will gladly do that if they decide to get a dealer closer than 3 hours from me.

8. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

that was my point. if the machine breaks 3 hours is a long way for parts! there are lots of machines on the market i would like to try, but is just not reasonable.

9. zim bob the landscaper

yes i have all of those and more i was actually thinking going into new hampshire i also have gravely, toro, john deere, husq., kabouta, walker, scag, wright stander, bob cat, snapper, cub tank i have lots near me but my brother wants to get something under 10 grand. also u should go to the dealer to get a finance plan right? so what mowers would be under 10 grand with a 56" and up deck?

10. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Was quoted at Mason NH shop of $8500 for lazer z with kaw 28hp 60" ultracut deck

Exmark has killer financing right now as well 1.9% for 36 months with no payment for 6 months payup