Best ztr for the money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisk, Jun 28, 2002.

1. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a ztr and want the best one for the money.
    I'm looking for something around a 48in, just something to help me get started.
    Or is it a mistake to make my first commercial mower purchase a z???
    Would I be better off starting out with a wb?????
    I have a 21inch honda but want something bigger and faster.
    Can I get a decent 48 ztr for around $6000??????
    Thanks
    Chris

P.s.
    Would a wright stander be better???????

2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Most bang for ur buck=Stander

3. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

I bought my 2002 Toro Z-Master 150 for $6,600.00 plus tax.
    Kohler 20 HP with a 52-inch deck

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i ecommend the lazer ,or hp .
    u might find cheaper deals but i dont believe u will feel like u went wrong ,a yr after buying them.
    ps opt for the 52,as u may want some accessaries that wont fit the 48.

5. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Select a dealer that you like to deal with who is knowledgable and will back what he sells. Most the mowers are good, and all of them break. The real trick is, how fast it gets going again after it breaks in my opinion, (see my tag line below)

Size has more to do with your clients than anything else in my opinion.

We run a Dixon 60" an Exmark 60" lazer Z and we just bought a Cub Cadet Pro 48" I wanted another Exmark but the dealer I wanted to buy it from did not have it in stock or readily available and the Cub was there with better financing and Warranty (sorry Exmark) The reason we bought a 48" is several of our customers had gates that our Gravely Promaster 100, 50" would just sneak through. (48" gate with room for latches.)

So, back to your question, If you are developing your customer base, go with the 52 and realize it will knock you out of some customers with small gates but on the whole will be your best bang for your buck. Find the dealer and talk to other commercial cutters that he services, will he hang around a bit if you come screaming in there at 5 o'clock with a broke mower and get you going for the next day? Or when you are broke will he tell you that there is a waiting list for the shop and he will look at your mower in 2 weeks!!!! And do not take his word for it, hang around his shop a bit and see who is coming in and how they are getting served. Your relationship with the dealer is as important if not more important than the mower itself in my opinion. And the best thing about my Exmark is I have only had to see my dealer Twice in a year of cutting. (about problems with it)

And yes, the 6K range is do able

Al Bechard

6. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

That's a loaded question on this site! You'll get as many different answers as you will see posts.

My suggestion to you is to check out the manufacturer sites and see which appeals to you most. Find dealers near you and go test drive them. Also do some searches on LS for different brands to see the pros and cons.

Have fun!!! I agree that you should go commercial and you should have no problem for $6,000.

:)

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Lazer Z HP w/ 48" deck and 18hp kohler I have used for about 3 years now and am very happy with it. Good cut quality, flexible enough to discharge/bag (even mulch with added kit) and it's been reliable. It's smaller and more compact that some mowers, so it squeezes through more gates. It's still 900 lbs or more, though. I think it's more like $7000 though, but it varies based on time of year and dealership. I love the height adjustment on the fly. I'd never have a mower w/o that again.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark ;->

9. Miller Mowing

Miller Mowing LawnSite Member

Personally, I would certainly recommend Dixon. I have ran Several Dixon ZTR mowers the last several years, and have been very pleased with the good service and dependability they have given me. About my only complaint would be that they tend to be a little bit on the "pricey" side, as in comparison with several other company's ZTR models. If you feel like you can afford one of them I think you would be very pleased.

10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Can I get a decent 48 ztr for around $6000??????

I got my Husky (48" deck, 18hp Kawi) for under $5400 after sales tax. Had it a year ago this past week, and have very good things to say about it. The Exmark was about $800 more, but my regular dealer sells Husky, so I gave them a try.

Whatever you choose, demo all of them. It would really suck to spend $6k on a mower that doesn't suit your application.