Best ZTR for under 7K

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zemzabob, May 29, 2008.

1. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Hi everyone
    I have about an acre of grass, the back yard inclines up hill and I want a commercial ZTR 48"-52" for the these reasons mowing time, cut quality and reliability. I do not know much about the commercial mowers so I thought I would seek out the professionals. I was just wondering what you all would recommend for me to buy for under 7K? I want to buy the best that I can afford. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Here I have included a few pics of my yard if it helps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The inclines in the back yard are steeper then it looks in the pics not to bad but definitely more then it looks like in the pics, and yes the yard looks much better then in the pics we have done a lot of work in the last two years.

Thank you

Darrell

2. zemzabob

Please Anyone?

3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll have a hard time finding one for under 7 k. Hustler's Fastrak Super Duty 48 is 6199 and is sort of commercial grade. If you want to spend a little more for a better product, go with the eXmark Lazer Z HP. They make a 46 and a 52, I believe they run around 7 or 8k. You could also go with the 48 eXmark CT model, that's entry level commercial. I dunno the prices on that one.

4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, and if your hills are over 15 degrees you're supposed to use a w/b mower or trimmer, I don't have that issue in FL but if the hills are too steep, a ZTR wouldn't be a smart purchase.

5. zemzabob

Thanks for your reply and sugstions. I can spend a little more if need be but I would like to stay around 7k If I can. The guy that is doing the yard now is using a Cub Tank and it seems to be doing ok on the hills. Just want to get the best bang for the buck.

6. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Look at a Scag Tiger Cub with the 48" and Kawi, or the Kubota ZG222 you should be able to get ahold of either of those under 7K. Kubota has Hydraulic deck lift and shaft drive trans and deck. No other machine like it out there! Good luck let us know what you find and don't be afraid to ask specific questions then take some of the answers you will get on here with a grain of salt!

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You can get a new Gravely 152Z for under $7000. We bought our 160Z this spring for $6800. They are great mowers and built really well. They also have a low center of gravity which helps on hills like that.

8. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

I know you said you wanted a commercial mower but with only 1 acre to cut, with not many obstacles you won't be putting hardly any hours at all on your mower. I would suggest you look at some of the homeowner models that are out there that have some commercial like features. For instance the Hustler Fastrak, Scag Freedom Z, Ferris IS1500, etc. I only mentioned these because I recently went through a similar situation and these are the ones that I looked at primarily because of good local dealers for them in my area.

I have about an acre but I have a lot more obstacles (trees, fort, teather ball, grasses, etc) to mow around and I purchased a 52" ZTR and it takes me about 45 minutes to mow my lawn and this is without mowing at the top speed. At this rate I will probably only put approx 25 hours on it annually. I know a couple of the ones I listed can be had for around 5k and have 3-4 year warranty's. Just a thought.

9. zemzabob

Hey that sounds good, as long as they last for years, have good cut quality features and saves me time. I also cut my wife's grandfathers yard that is also about an acre. Do you think these are ok for this? And what are the cost like on these models?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone! Thats why I'm here to learn glad I came across this place a lot of great info. My goal is to have a great lawn DIY

10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Check with your dealers and see if they have any leftover models still wanting to sell. I bought a leftover exmark and it was right at 6k then tax. A 52" is going to run you close to a grand more and if only cutting the 2 properties you mentioned, you will never know the difference. Im not too familiar with prices of Z's but you should be able to find a leftover or slightly used for less than 7k. Heck, a few people posted pics on here today where they found toro ztr with less than 200 hours for like $3k.

With the openess and layout of your yard, you should be able to get some awesome stripes going real quick once you get that mower. Best of luck.