1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best ZTR under 5k

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by printer88, Jun 9, 2009.

1. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

I no longer mow commercially but my lawn is about 2 acres and my old JD walk behind is done for and I'm ready to ride. Our lawn is level but slightly bumpy.
    What would you all recommend since I don't want to spend more than 5k?
    Thanks

2. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

prob. find a good, used one around. Keep an eye out..usually they are either worn out/high hours/lots of $$$, but there are good deals out there. I've often pondered what I will do when/if I ever getout of the business...my lawn is small, but the nice equipment has spoiled me to other 'homeowner' lines that I see at HD and lowes...

3. GreenAcresLandscaping

GreenAcresLandscaping LawnSite Member

Depending on your area you could probably get a hustler fastrack 48 for about 5k. The BadBoy that tractor supply sells looks like it would be fine for what you are doing they are 4999

4. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW I'm gonna have a Ferris 61'' 30 HP Kohler for sale in about a week. It's one that I use and it has 490 hours on it at the moment. By next week it should be over 500, but I've had it for 2 years and one month. My new one is sapposed to be here the first of the week. I buy a new one every 2 years to keep a newer mower. PM me if you are interested. Or you can call 706-506-8857.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend a Dixon RAM MAG machine, or, a Snapper PRO SD150 machine ... these are entry level commercial machines and you can get them new for less than $ 5 K !!

6. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

Quality cut, front shocks, floating deck, full length rear rollers for striping. A neighbor has one, cuts great. Rated light commercial. You might be able to special order it with a Vanguard Briggs engine although the standard ELS engine should be more than adequate. Same company also makes the Ferris commercial mowers.

Good luck in your decision. :) See link below.
    http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/zero_turn/zt3000/

7. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

I sure wish I was close....that's a nice mower.

8. saylorsdad

saylorsdad LawnSite Member

buy a 60in zt from a badboy dealer and you will not regret the purchase. I have one with around 130 hrs it mows pretty darn good for cash
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. SlowMow

SlowMow LawnSite Member

I would recommend getting with your local dealerships and find out who the area or regional sales rep is and get a good deal on a demo mower. That is what I do. I have became GREAT friends with our regional Scag sales rep and I get quality demos, a lot of times with less than 100 hours for usually about half the price. Just an idea to get a commercial mower for a residential price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going shopping Friday and try some out. Btw, are the Toro Timecuters any good?