Best ztr

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by burbo, Apr 5, 2006.

1. burbo

burbo LawnSite Member

Building a home on 5 acres of rolling pasture; (I believe mostly fescue and bermuda); would like quality ztr, maybe 60 inch , to maintain and develope this property over next few years. Been looking at Hustler super Z, but sounds like the quality of cut is inferior? Any suggestions. THANKS

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

where did you get that idea??????? there are nay sayers on all brands of mowers, but top to bottom Hustler has an outstanding reputation for quality of cut, durability, warranty, service, and factory support.
    read the Hustler forum!!!

3. burbo

burbo LawnSite Member

OK, if I am getting a super Z, is there any reason not to get the old deck?

4. nmurph

from ga

i think Hustler has ceased production of the old style deck and only manufactures the xr-7, now. if you post you questions to PJ on the Hustler forum, he will answer them. there is a wealth of info on the Hustler forum.

5. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Asking what is the best ZTR on this site is like asking "Which is better .... Ford or Chevy?". Everybody has their own opinion and favorites. It does sound like you don't mind spending the money it takes to get a quality, commercial grade machine, so, you have quite a few options available. Now, with that said ............. One of my properties is the same size as yours ..... 5 acres. This property is rolling/semi-hilly, lots of trees, fence lines, bird bathes, etc., to mow around and the grass is mostly a nice, lush fescue. I have two ZTR's ........ an Exmark Lazer HP 48" deck and a Hustler Super Z 60" deck. I really don't care what anyone else says on this site .......... I personally have not seen any make of mowing machine that gives as beautiful a cut as an Exmark. The Hustler is definitely a great unit and certainly gives an acceptable cut. You really can't go wrong with a Hustler, but, if I could only have one ZTR for my 5 acres and I wanted it to look like a manicured golf course, I would get an Exmark Lazer HP with a 52" deck. You don't need a 60" deck for what you have. And, again, if quality of cut is extremely important to you, a 60" deck will never give you as nice of a finished look as a 52" or 48" deck.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

6. burbo

burbo LawnSite Member

thank you for the advice about the best mower for my property; I bought the super z 60 inch. I had already commited to buy this machine; and it was not worth the money to lose a friend. I guess I already knew the narrower deck would give a better cut, but maybe I wont spend quite so much time in retirement on the mower. thanks for confirming the Hustler is a good machine: perhaps I can make up for its shortcomings by the manner and consistency I cut my property. I took the mower to the property today and my wife would not let me use it. It cut approx 2 acres of 7 inch grass pretty easily and quickly; I will never know how the exmark would have done. thankx for the help

7. nmurph

from ga

congrats, and welcome to the family. yeah, get used to not being able to get your wife off of the mower. i think that is a common problem with wives of Hustler owners.