1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best ztr's for slopes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by woodchuckc, Apr 13, 2005.

1. woodchuckc

woodchuckc LawnSite Member

I'm not a pro, but sometimes it seems like mowing is my second job! :dizzy: I mow about 3.5 acres of my own yard, about 2 acres for my mother-in-law who lives next door, and about another 3 acres for my grandmother-in-law who lives next door to her. I have been using a 60" cut Kubota G2160 diesel lawn tractor for the last 2 years, and have put about 375 hours on it. I am considering going to a ztr to try and cut down on the amount of time I spend cutting grass. We have a lot of trees and flower beds in all the yards, so I can't help but think that a ztr will also help me cut down on the amount of trimming that I need to do as well.

All three yards, and especially mine, have a lot of sloped areas that I can cut with the lawn tractor, but it requires paying pretty close attention to angles of approach, etc. to feel comfortable even on it. So, are there any particular brands and models of ztr's that do especially well on slopes? What about tires - would a bar-style tire on the drive wheels be better than the stock turf tires (some areas do stay pretty wet, too). I was figuring that some of the tall models, like Dixie Chopper and Exmark would not be so good, and ones with a lower center of gravity would be better. My Kubota dealer also carries Hustler, and I have a Cub Cadet dealer nearby as well, so I thought I would check out these two brands. I don't want a homeowner model, but would like to keep my cost under $7000.

Any suggestions / comments would be most appreciated!

Thanks! :waving:
  2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you lived closer I would sell you our Kubota ZD-21 for under 7K. We are getting ready to buy 2 new ZD-28's. As far as slopes go the ZD is excellent. We have a Great Dane Chariot also and it does well on slopes. Many ZTR's with a low profile will suit you well...good luck!
  3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Exmark lazer Z 72" is what we used for the slopes. Look at the 72, the wheels are spaced out much wider than the 60".
  4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Don't know about Kubota, but I have put considerable time in testing the Dixie, eXmark, J Deere, Toro, Husqvarna, and Hustler on some pretty steep stuff. The Hustler is the best at holding hillsides and slopes, followed by the 757/737/ Deere. The eXmark is a distant 3rd, the Dixie is exciting! All these mowers were 60" ers, the Husky was a 72 and did OK, prolly put it with the Deere, but behind the Hustler.

A HustlerZ (not SuperZ, which would be way overkill for you), can be had in your price range.

Hope this helps!
  5. anothertractor

anothertractor LawnSite Member

I demoed a 60 inch exmark and a 60 Dixie before buying the 757 Deere. One of the properties I maintain has a pretty serious slope on it that gets steeper with each pass. The Exmark was the first one that I used. It made it about 60% up the hill. The Dixie was second and only made about 2 passes before it slid off the hill. The deere made it all the way to the top so I went and signed the papers on it. I think that there are a lot of very good pieces of equipment out there, you just need to try them out to see which one fits your needs the best.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I must also add that new my JD 757 holds them very well.
  7. woodchuckc

woodchuckc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick input!

A couple of responses have suggested to check out the JD mowers, and they were on my short list to look at too, but I just noticed Monday that the JD dealer closest to me is out of business. :( I had been noticing that he wasn't getting in much of any new stock (tractors and mowers) this spring, and then the showroom and offices were emptied over the weekend! I live out in a rather rural area, so the next nearest JD dealer is about 60 miles away (as are most of the other brand dealers). I have a Cub Cadet dealer only about 17 miles away, and the Kubota / Hustler dealer is about 30 miles, which is one reason for putting them near the top of my list. However, for as little as I mow (less that 200 hours / year), quick and easy dealer support probably is not as significant a factor as for you guys that rack up several times as many hours a year and MUST have your equipment up and running all the time to stay in business.

Thanks for the responses so far, and keep the suggestions coming - the heart of the cutting season is upon me! :p

8. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ck out the Hustler if you can. They really hold a slope well.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

By far the best Sit down ZTR for hills is the Wright Sentar. Since the motor is mounted right on the deck and goes up and down with the deck when you change the height. It has the lowest center of gravity. Mine will hold a hill better than any other ZTR. Plus since you sit on the back you can bail out of it if you should loose control of it. No other ZTR will allow you to do that.

(I know someone is going to ask this. My sentar is for sale because I lost an account and replaced it with another 52" stander already. If it has a 52" deck I would be keeping it.)
  10. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Hustler Super Z is awesome on sloper,,second to none :waving: