Bestcontractors

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by westwind, Dec 19, 2006.

1. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone subscribed to this site? Bestcontractors.com, they are new to this area, and we are interested in maybe trying them out. Prices are reasonable, just looking for anyone that has used them, and what kind of business you've gotten from this type of advertising. Any information would be great.

2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

anybody out there with experience with this?

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I look at it as just one more company trying to get their hands in your pocket. Most likely 99% of any work will be way out from your normal area. The Yellow Pages are bad enough.

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea as they said. That is all it is is another person trying to get a piece of your pie with as little work as possible. We have had a few offer us free trials and things of that nature and then they give you the list of referals that are really outdated our 30+ miles away, price shoppers our just people wondering what something costs because they saw that their neighbor got it done and want to keep up with the jones's. Etc., etc., etc but hey go for it if you want. your money not ours.just so you know if it sounds to good to be true it ussually is.

5. Rickc

Rickc LawnSite Member

This posting is from BestContractors.com:

BestContractors.com matches homeowners to prescreened contractors. Our member contractors receive homeowner projects based on zones and project categories they subscribe too. Because member contractors pay a monthly fee instead of a per-lead fee like other services, they can pick and choose projects that interest them. BestContractors.com limits the number of contractors per trade and zone to ensure a steady flow of projects to each member. The company advertises extensively in a variety of media including local TV, cable TV, Google and Yahoo.

6. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

What it boils down to is how well is this service marketing itself? If no homeowners contact the service, there'll be no one to refer to you, you know? That's been my big hesitation. There are getting to be so many referral companies out there. And why not? Look at how low the overhead is. I'd think there's a better way to spend your advertising budget.

Dave

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As a rule, I don't deal with advertising-only businesses, but have no problems spending money where advertising covers the cost of their business as I find this type of business to have an attention-paying base of some kind of folks. Whereas, with advertising-only businesses, there's no telling who will pay them any mind, few customers I know want pure raw advertising in their face, the fact that they're experts in this case helps but it doesn't fix the inherent problem.

Examples of cost covered by advertising businesses would be radio, newspapers, certain directories, et.al. In short, what they do is not advertising per se (and this attracts the readers and listeners), they just fill space with it so as to cover costs, and of course since advertising is such an integral part of things, they're usually pretty handy with it, the fact they may not be experts is not such a big deal. It is also a matter of time, the longer they've been around, as a rule, the better (think 5-8 years minimum, 10-15 years along is better, this means they are known in the area and you should know who they are, too).

The only exception I can think of is Val-pak, but they're not cheap and you need a BIG company with resources to deal with the onslaught, this type of ad sends literally thousands of customers your way in very short time. I'll put it this way: With 5 telephone lines and 4 full-time operators, the phones will hardly stop ringing, it's that rough... And, it only lasts 1-2 weeks, you really need to be more than well prepared for it, not for me, not for most of us, I don't think.