Bests Broadcast Speader?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mlong30, Apr 7, 2007.

1. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I was told by my Lesco dealer that I may need to get away from a drop spreader and get a broadcast/rotary spreader to help prevent burning. I have a cheap Scott's drop spreader, and ever time I use it, it will burn my lawn on the outer edges only. Even if I just run one strip in my yard!

So, I've been looking at the lesco broadcast spreaders, and I like the following because it does both broadcast, and drop.

Does anyone know of a similar product? Is there a way to get this cheaper?

http://www.lesco.com/ProdCatalog/ProdCatalogNav.aspx?ProdGroupID=49&SKUGroupID=282

Thanks.

Matt

2. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I have the broadcast only version of this Lesco...I have no need for a drop spreader. See it here: http://www.lesco.com/ProdCatalog/ProdCatalogNav.aspx?ProdGroupID=49&SKUGroupID=102

I can tell you that this spreader being heavy duty and with the large pneumatic wheels, really takes the work out of fertilizing. Lesco is the only manufacturer that I'm aware of who makes a combo broadcast/drop spreader. Then again I really haven't been paying attention to that. If you don't really have much of a need for a drop spreader, then you'll definitely be happy with the broadcast version. A friend of mine recently bought a commercial duty Earthway broadcast spreader, in which he recently informed me that he's really happy with it. You might want to look into Earthway as well just for comparison sake. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

<< You might want to look into Earthway as well just for comparison sake. Hope this helps and good luck.>>

Will the Earthway work with Lesco products? The only reason why I'm asking is because I put Lesco fertilizer into a Scotts Home Residential Drop Spreader AccGreen, and it just broke! I believe the fertilizer was just to large for this spreader, so I have to get a commercial one now.

I'm located in Indianapolis, In. Any suggestions where I can get a Earthway?

Thanks!

Matt

4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Lesco, it will be the last spreader you buy for life. You can use any fert in any spreader. The reason it broke is the Scotts homeowner models are complete s$%t. Buy a commercial unit and be done with it :)

5. waltslawn

waltslawn LawnSite Member

i got one from tractor suppy co. in avon.there wre on sale for 74.99.it has a 75 pound hooper and air filled tires.it works great and half the price of the others.and look for there version of round -up and weed control products.they work great for me.best of luck to you.if it would stop rainning we could all mow and make a good sum of money

6. dwost

I have the same one. Here is why I wouldn't recommend it. The hopper doesn't completely empty due to the bottom being totally flat. Horrible design. It does have pneumatic tires which is nice, however, after one season it started getting harder to push due to rust that has occurred from the fert eating through the paint on the frame. You have to keep it lubricated and even then it doesn't stay loose for long. All of the paint has now completely chipped off around the hopper and I probably only have one more season left with it. I've also had to replace the mechanism for opening and closing the hopper. It's all plastic. Again, another design flaw. Put the $75 toward the Lesco and go that route.

7. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

8. dwost

Lesco.........SS vs. epoxy coated steel. There is no comparison. If you want to look at the Eartway line look at the one with the SS frame.

9. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

<< If you want to look at the Eartway line look at the one with the SS frame.>>

Since you put it that way, I'll be making a trip:walking: to my Lesco dealer this weekend to take one off his hands.

Thanks!

Matt

10. dwost

Good choice, you will not be disappointed. I'll be joining you on that walk within the next year :)