Bet you havn't had this happen to you.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Apr 16, 2005.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call from a lady today, she wanted an estimate on mowing. She told me where she lived, and it was actually in the sub division next to me. So I knew the lot size and gave her a price over the phone. She had got my number out of the paper, said she called my number over the other four ads because she got a good feeling from it. Well, I told her the price and she thought it was a good deal, then I told what was involved, you know mow, trim, edge, and blow. She actually said she would pay me more than what I told her, So I got a raise and I havn't even started yet. The lot size is about 5,000 s.f., and I told her 20 she said she'd pay me $25. She then proceeded to say how she was big on word of mouth, and could almost guarantee me the houses next to her and others in the subdivision!!! What a great day, as I also picked up two other accounts.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Happened to me once a long time ago. I quoted $25.00 and the lady said, oh no thats to low, we'll give you $35.00.

3. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

You hear much on this site about the PITA's that you tend to forget that there are great customers out there. I mowed a lawn Thursday- postage stamp actually. There is a hill involved but no big issue. I told the guy 35.00. He said you did a bejob than the lco in Virginia that I had so I'll pay you 45.00. :cool2: I also will get some hadscape work off the guy

Greg.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

That's awesome. Word of mouth is the best way I've found of getting new customers. I've had that happen a few times when the price I give is "too low" and the customer gives me more per cut.

5. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

One of my best customers I quoted him $35 and he said it was not enough so he bumped it up to $45. He always gives me a $40-$50 tip or so on cleanups and he also gives me $25 for Christmas.

6. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah just the otherday I was talking to one of my neighbors that i mow for $60 bucks, he asked me how much it was going to be this year and i told him same price, ofcourse unless you want to pay me more. So he said lets just make it $70, I was like hell yeah! I'd mow this lawn for 50 bucks.

7. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I agree....a lot of talk on here about PITAs but there are some good customers. I ve told many of my customers that it would cost 25 and they give me 30 everyday. One person actually said" I think we should go up on your price this year." If you do a good job, some people are really good to you
    EHO

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I've had that happen, qouted $20 and they said it was too low and said $25. hey whatever floats their boat. :D

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't want to rain on your good fortune but, don't get too excited about this. She sounds like some I've had that turned out to be crazy. Think about it, what kind of person pays MORE than asked? My grandma is the only sane person that I can think of. Also, wouldn't you prefer to see someones work before you guarantee some referrals? Take it slow and don't get your hopes up. I'm just trying to keep you from coming back in a month with some horror stories like so many we get here.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I get the occasional raise I didn't ask for. But not a lot of them. I think this is partly because I'm good at dragging a price out of a lot of people during one on one interviews. Many times I can get people to tell me what they think the job is worth or what they are willing to pay.

I have one that sends me extra money out of the blue now and then. I always do the same great job, so it's not tips for something extra, or an extra good job that week. It's just extra money out of the blue. She sends it when she has extra or good fortune or whatever, because she feels I am worth more than I charge her, but she can't afford to pay what she thinks I'm worth all the time.