better air filter housing

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by locutus, Oct 2, 2003.

1. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have a metro hp with the 15 horse kawasaki. It occured to me not soon after I bought it that the filter design is terrible. Screws on up top with a wingnut and basically dangles free at the bottom. Pressure from the filter cover is used to hold the bottom of the filter in place. This would be acceptable if I fealt the cover was applying sufficient pressure. Has anyone had problems with dirt ingestion in the engine? I think Kawi has recognized this appearent shortcoming with their filter housing, because I saw a 15 hp Kawi on a new cub-cadet with an entirely different housing. Much,much better design. Question- can I retofit this housing to my metro? Can my exmark dealer get it for me? thank you
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I've seen the new filter and it appears that you can retrofit it but it's not as simple as it sounds and is very costly. The information we're getting here is the carburetor, air box and engine cowling/shrouds must all be changed.

Not exactly what I would call a retrofit. The key to the flat filter is patience and close attention to detail. Also don't over tighten the wing nut. If you crank it too tight it will pull the lower half of the filter away from the filter base.