Better Blades for 72" Kubota belly mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bayrat, May 31, 2004.

1. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have checked with my dealer as well as searched the web for a better blade for my 72" Kubota belly mower. Marbain does not seem to have a website and Gator does not list them.

The OEM blades that came with the mower were actually rounded on the leading edge!!! I mean there was a second angle cut into the leading edge that had a radius. Even the dealer could not explain why they were that way. I purchased a second set from the dealer and those were fairly sharp. I cleaned them up with a file prior to installation to remove the curled up steel left by the grinder during manufacture. They held up reasonably well. I ground the OEM blades to an edge and then filed, but they seem to not be holding well. I have used them for perhaps 8 hours. I was carefully not to overheat them when I sharpened with the hand grinder. I am seeing torn grass after cutting, leaving a gold colored striping effect on the lawn after a day of sun.

Any suggestions? Is there a manufacturer out there that sells better blades for my machine. Would it be unreasonable to try and case harden the OEM blades?

Thanks,

BRat

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Gator is working on making kubota blades. They should be out later this year. I was think about putting a tracvac on my kubota for leaves. But I want gator blades to chop up the leaves before they get into the shredder on the vac. So they will be really small pieces which equals more leaves can be packed into the hopper. Just wait a little and they will be out.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

go to www.mowmore.com and do a search. there are several kubota's listed there but each model varies.

4. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks to you both.