better blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mastinson, Apr 21, 2007.

1. mastinson

mastinson LawnSite Member

I have a new john deere and the blades do not chew up the clippings at all and the lawn is left looking like a hayfield in places and I mow once a week. I have heard that gator blades will solve this by chewing up the grass into smaller pieces but I want some more input before I find some, or if anyone has other blade opinions let me know.

BTW I mow 4 small yards and they all total a little under 2 acres and I don't use a mulch plate or anything like that just simple side discharge and really want to just keep it that way and just swap out the blades for some that do a better job of chewing up clippings.

Thanks

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What type/model mower and which deck do you have? The 7 iron type decks are known for large clippings because by nature they don't recirculate the grass very much. It helps the deck in wet grass but yes the clippings may be larger than with another deck that recirculates the clippings more. I doubt that gator type blades would help. Most don't like them unless you are actually mulching or doing fall leaves. But others seem to like them. Your probably cutting off too much at one time for the 7 iron deck. I think it's the basic design of the deck, some mower like Exmark cut the blades into small pieces and others such as Toro's adjustable deck (turbo force) let you decide which way you want. I'm just guessing. My Turf Tiger leaves larger clippings but never clumps so this is handy at times such as wet overgrown grass.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm seeing post where they are having good luck with gators on John Deeres so maybe you should give them a try. Most are using a mulch kit with them but not all it seems. I've never had much luck with gators (not enough lift and not as smooth) but you could try a set of J-Thomas gator type blades for about $10 each so you don't have much to loose. I think they are called mamba high lifts but they are a gator type blade. Good luck. Some of you JD guys chime in here. Heres the post...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184221

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The MEG MO blades will do almost twice as good of a job of any straight blade. We sell almost 40% of our blades to JD owners and the JD is the mower I invented the MEG MO blades on.

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I like the concept of the blade system however, at 2:57 and at 3:24 seconds into your video, it clearly shows a grass "MOHAWK" behind the cut surface. Could this be just with that particular brand of lawnmower? I am interested in the product, do you sell in Canada?

Lastly, your video loses sound towards the end.

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Yes we ship to Canada all the time.

7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

What about the mohawk issue? I know that there is NOT a single blade out there that can prevent this but if I can speed up by 2-3 mph while cutting that would translate into a 9 hour savings for me per week.

Believe me, I see the upside of your product but if you claim to cut a higher speeds and the "majority" of mowers mohawk, then the point of it has no merit.

Thanks.

8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

In the video we were cutting 7 1/2" grass weeds to 2 1/2" . The cut in that field was fine. It may look like it wasn't just right but there was no lumps like normal blades would have made.The meg mo system has worked very well for 99.6 % of the people we have sold to for the last 10 years . The knives will stay sharp 8 to10 times longer, out wear 3 or 4 OEM blades , cut the grass up 5 or 6 times more and blow it from the deck so keeps from the lumping.