Better Business Bureau

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazman, Dec 1, 2000.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Is anybody out there a member of the Better Business Bureau? They are trying to get me to join for $445 a year. I don't know if it is very beneficial for me or not.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how much of a help it would be as most people (including myself) look at them as a place to go to to complain about businesses. I'd save the $445 and join your local Chamber of Commerce.
  3. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

WIthin the last year I took a Business seminar in Tulsa and "all" of the instructors complained because there is not much representation by the BBB and if there is, it's for businesses who lay down money above the initial $445. You might ask for a list and/or compile your own, do some calling to see how much visability other businesses receive. $445? Man, they better give me some bang for the buck!
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The BBB is a badge that crooks wear to make them look legit.

Here's what happens: Let's say Joe owns XYZ lawn care. He's behind on bills. He leaves $50,000 unpaid to local vendors. (Topsoil supplier, equipment dealer, auto parts store, etc.) He also collects from customers and never completes the job. Some of his employees go unpaid and file with the labor board.

BBB is supposed to help identify crooks like that, right?

Next year Joe calls himself AAA lawn care and registers with the BBB. You call the BBB about him and he checks out fine.

I know of no less than 6 examples where this has happened in lawn care in my market. ALL were BBB members.

The BBB is a badge that crooks wear to make them look legit.

My $.02:
    Become a member of your local Chamber of Commerce and pocket the rest.
  5. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

They called our office a few years ago. Very important that I contact them immediately. I thought the worst, so when I reached them, they reassured me that there was no problem.
    They wanted me to join.I guess they figure that when you realise that your not in trouble, you'll be a push-over.
    Sounds like manipulation to me.
    I declined there pitch.
  6. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to pass on the BBB and look possibly at the chamber of commerce or something else.
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Read Lazers post. Works the same way here on the East coast.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Save your $445. Joining BBB won't get you $445 worth of business. It would be a useless feather in your cap.