Better Business Bureu

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by flattoplawncare, Mar 26, 2008.

1. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys, I got a call from the BBB today but i was not home to receive the call it was just a message saying to call them so i did but it is after 5 so no one answered. I don't know why they called i have never done no one wrong, so i went to there website and saw they have memberships i think maybe someone was trying to sell me on it because customers supposedly call the BBB to get info before they do business. Do you think my suspicion is correct? Has anybody had this happen to them? Also if it was them trying to sell me should i go for it? I can see people wanting a review or such with them before they use your services.:usflag:
  2. grassyguy

grassyguy LawnSite Member

they just want to sign you up. I did it for two years and did not recognize any growth due to their service. It is not very expensive, so you could see how it works for you, or save your money for fuel.LOL
  3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

They called me to sell me a membership...I didn't do it...I have plenty of testimonials on my website if potential customers need to check my credibility.
  4. richard1103

richard1103 LawnSite Member

they want a slice of your pie .about 500 cherrys a year
  5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

People who use them think their going to get business but you (Don't) and then you think ohh well it aleast it will sound good to my customers that im a member (customers dont give a Sh!t) the only time the BBB matters is if someone complaining about you and really in your life time have you ever contacted them to see if the auto shop where you take your trucks to or whatever business your spening money at has got any complaints! No you have never called the BBB and no one else has either so don't waist your money buying into the thought of getting work from them..
    ....Just my opinion take it or leave it:cool2:
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I get stuff in the mail from them all the time. I never even considered it. They are NOT a government entity like some people think they are. I always get a laugh when I hear someone on the subject of complaining about some business, and someone says. "You should call the better business bureau."
    I think to myself "Oh no! NOT that!"
  7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

they only call the business owner when 20+ complaints have been filed.

ok, that's not true.
  8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Guess what the BBB is a Joke, you pay them to list your company as, in "good" standing nothing "earned" you pay for it. I had a horrible experience with a company that "scammed" us out of some Family photo's. I filed a complaint with the BBB, along with many other victims, nothing was done to "punish" the Photo Company, we did get our money back no help to the BBB, I will never join them. The small business association here does not speak highly of the BBB. Take that money and invest it in some other form of business advertising

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

they have called me three times in the past 2 years and all three times they made apt. to come out and see me and then never showed only called to cancel once the other two just stood me up. the next time they call im going to tell them were they can go and what to do when they get there.
  10. ***CLC***

***CLC*** LawnSite Member

IMO, :nono: stay away…not worth the money…I have been in business for approximately 15 years and word of mouth and the opinions of a satisfied customer far outweigh anything the BBB will say (good or bad). I had a customer call them on my business about 9 years ago and they contacted us and stated that if we signed up with them they would look out for us, but if we didn’t then they would not say anything in our favor and would stand behind the consumer…I think you know where I told them they could go. :realmad:
    This is just my .02 though!