1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

better business phone

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by SharperImage, Jan 4, 2012.

Better business phone?

1. iPhone

69 vote(s)
  2. Droid

33 vote(s)
  1. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

Service Auto Pilot, it will do all of what you described with less keystrokes.
  2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Be Lost without my crackberry, e-mail is a huge part of how I operate my biz.
  3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i guess i just don't see things like emailing a necessitie while your "out of the office".

emails don't need to be returned the min. they are received. they are just like text messages.

if something is urgent i expect a phone call or i will make a phone call.

i would rather save all that stuff for the end of the day. it really speeds your day along and i sometimes finish early if i'm not making phone calls and answering emails in between each job.

since i don't use the phone while i'm driving the only time for me to even return phone calls or emails is before i hop out of the truck to do a job or after i finish a job. and like i said i don't want to be sitting in that truck in front a finished property or not started property any longer than i have to.

when i pull up to a property i hop right out of the truck and get going. when i finish i hop right back in the truck and am moving onto the next place.

but everyone is different.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i only have one customer that contacts me by email and i just check it at home on the laptop. they don't even email me much at all during the season. they know i'm coming on monday or a day or two after if it rains so they leave a check. the only time they email me is if they want a leaf cleanup or something in the fall. i do use my iphone for texts and calls. that's about it. a few customers want me to text them when i get done on their property so they can mail me a check. takes me about 30seconds to send them a quick text and then i'm on my way.
  5. yardguy28

yeah but i don't see any of that stuff as a necessity.

sure it's nice to have the capabilities. and i do have an iphone. but most of my emails wait until i get home and can get on my computer.

i could actually run my business without a cell phone of any kind. i don't always make or return calls during the day. i make and return most of my phone calls after i'm done for the day, in the evening hours.

if you call me at 10am and leave a message, most likely i will not be calling you back until after 5pm. same goes for emails or text messages.

so yes smart phones are nice for our business but i wouldn't say a necessity.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah they aren't necessary i agree. people did lawncare long before the cell phone came along.
  7. yardguy28

exactly. so i can't really say which smart phone is a better phone, because being that everything a smart phone offers in not a necessity, they both probably do a pretty good job in what they do offer.

i personally have an iphone. went from a blackberry to an iphone. never have tried android because i was never really interested in an android and heard much better things about an iphone.

i strongly feel we don't need to return each and every phone call, email or txt as soon as possible. maybe thats because i'm solo and have come to a pretty full schedule so i feel if a person can't wait for me to return there call then they don't want my business bad enough and can find someone else.

i have a friend who uses his iphone for music while mowing or whatever. each time the phone rings he stops his mower or what he's doing an answers the phone. i think thats nuts. jobs take so much longer when your stopping all the time to answer calls, txts and emails.

i prefer to work straight through my day only stopping maybe for lunch and handle all calls, txts and emails after i'm done working on clients properties. i don't like to be sitting on the side of the road or in front of a property to make or take a call, txt or email. and i won't do any of that while i'm driving.

if i know i'm not going to have to write anything down i might return a call or 2 (usually would be existing clients) while sitting in front a property i've either finished or am about to start or if i take a lunch. but new calls wait until the end of the day so i can have a pen and paper ready to write down there address and other info.
  8. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

Back when I had my Droid I would take pics at the estimate, and E-mail them to myself. By the time I got back from the estimate all the pics were in my inbox. Then I would load them in to the customer file.

The radar was better than any weather report. I would check it all day long. Might as well of had it on all day. lol

Getting e-mail on the fly is what I miss most.
  9. yardguy28

i rarely take pics of any properties for any reason......

even so i would wait until i got home to transfer them from a camera to the computer.

even though i get emails on the fly i don't ever respond to them until i get home for the evening.

i might as well leave my phone at home because i rarely use it while working, its more for me to use should i get into an accident and need to call someone.
  10. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

Most customers stick with the first service that answers them. If I answer first I am more likely to get the new customer. If you're not growing than who cares. If you are growing ItÂ’s a big deal.

Remember the horse that comes in first place by a nose is not $1,000,000.00 better than second place. Its just a nose better.