Better Chop Saw

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Jul 28, 2011.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This is the saw we use for cutting both pavers and wall blocks. Most projects we are doing both. So it's nice to have a saw that's big enough to cut through SRW block but can also do 2-3" pavers.

The problem we keep having is this saw is constantly having engine problems. We even changed the engine to a new Honda engine last winter and still having similar problems. After using it for a while it just doesn't want to keep idle. So then we call our small engine machanic and he does his magic on it, tell us to keep the air filter clean (which we do, twice every day when in use) and it works fine for a little while. But then within a few days of use it starts doing it again. I think the problem is related to way too much dust. But to that end, we are cleaning the filter regularly.

Do we just need to purchase a higher grade of chop saw? Or what do you guys sugggest? If you think I need a new one, let me know what brand / kind you recommend. Whatever it is, I need it to be able to do block and pavers both.

ChopSaw.jpg

2. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

That's to funny, we have the same exact saw. We call it big blue. Ours is blue and it kind of looks like yours is too. haha We only use it maybe once a year though. We have all gas powered hand held cut off saws.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, you guys like giving me opportunities to Market Myself! I think I need to come out with Andrew Hardscape work wear!

All the saws pretty much use the same brand of engine - Honda.

The dust will kill an engine, doesn't matter what brand.

An example, I had a brand new John Deere Tractor back in 1991. 20 hp Yanmar diesel. 130 hrs on the engine and it got HOT AND DRY outside. It sucked dust in, and in a matter of minutes it was blowing smoke and locked up.

We usually get 2-3 years out of the 6.5 hp Honda engines on our saws. They're cheap, around $330.00 and take about 15 minutes to swap. More or less 4 bolts, 2 belts, done. We got 10 years of use out of 1 saw, and every 2-3 years replaced the engines. After the initial purchase of the saw, thats approx $200 / year to operate, not including oil changes, plugs, and belts. What is 200 bucks a year?

Jim, sounds like you have some sort of an on-going problem with that one engine. Could be that when the guys change/clean the filter(s), they're allowing dirt into the carb. I don't like my guys to lay a finger on the air cleaner housing because of this.

The saw in the pic, has a Suburu(sp) brand of engine (its japanese!) We have a smaller saw with the same brand, over a year old - and no problems.....yet! Although, I think EDCO (contrx, same Maryland company) isn't using those engines.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

As stated, the vast majority of the mainstream manu's are going to be using a Honda engine, and for good reason, so I don't know of any way around that. It seems like the problem may be the angle that the saw sits on when idling & not in use. Odds are, the engine is flooding in fuel when idling in that position. The Honda's are somewhat finicky when it comes to that, especially during transport. Not sure what you can do about it, but I would think the right small engine tech could come up with a remedy.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

We have 3 of those saws, they just last so long with the honda motors. I noticed you start your saw from behind?? Thats different.

6. DVS Hardscaper

Yep Zedo, you need to rotate your starter. (3) 10mm bolts. Easier to start from behind, as it's a better angle for the rope to be pulled. Seems to be less strain on the starter assembly. Those engines have a ga-zillion uses, they roll 'em out of the factory not knowin what they're gonna be used for. Just like when you buy a new altenator for your car or truck, you often times have to turn the mounting plate so it works with your application.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  7. zedosix

I would rather stand in front, no problems starting it. But hey, to each his own right?

8. DVS Hardscaper

Some hang their toilet paper over the front of the roll, some hang their toilet paper over the back of the roll........

9. zedosix

gotta hang it in the front otherwise your hands gotta reach way back there.

10. DVS Hardscaper

to mess with your employees, you otta swicth the starter around, just to get a good laugh