1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better deal? Gravely or Exmark.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dillrob, Mar 21, 2005.

1. dillrob

dillrob LawnSite Member
    from Phila

I am looking to buy a 48" walk behind mower for my property. I cut about 1-1/4 acre with about 25 trees and beds to manuever around. That is why I am giving up the tractor for the walk behind. It is pretty much flat (one small sloped area) and generally smooth lawn. I looked at both a new Gravely Pro G(gear, floating deck, electric PTO, pistol grip) for $2,995 and a new Exmark Metro (gear, fixed deck, manual blade engage, ECS) for $2,895. Both have the same Kaw 15HP engine, Peerless trans and 7 gauge deck.

Are these mowers pretty much equivalent or is one much better than the other for this use.

Look forward to your opinions.
  2. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have owned both and would recommend the Gravely. I think that it is better designed and has a better height adjustment etc. I still own the Gravely (same one you are considering) but not the Exmark.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

gravely's deck height adjustment on their WB's is awesome. the other companys have it all wrong
  4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm also considering the Gravely, Your quote is a much better price than mine
    (Fixed Deck, 15 Kaw, 3099.00) No tax if I pay cash. Do you know what the cost difference between Gravely Fixed and floating deck.
  5. dillrob

dillrob LawnSite Member
    from Phila

The dealer I went to had a price of $3,700 marked down to $2,995 for the Gravely. The list seemed a little high to me but the asking price looks good. This dealer is a Gravely dealer/servcer but did not have much inventory on hand. Not sure if they are getting out of the Gravely business (from a sales perspective) or just order Gravely when requested. They have allot of Exmark though.
  6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely's my vote!....... I did extensive research when I got mine (granted it was a couple years ago so somethings may have changed but I doubt many) and the Gravely takes it. Here is my post for some additional reading. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=29862 I'd still recommend this model after 3 seasons of use. It's built like a tank and the cut is fabulous. The only issue i've had is with a pully design issue that caused excessive belt wear, however, after talking to the Gravely tech support (they are great to deal with) it was a simple fix that didn't cost a thing to change. I have also posted this procedure as well. Do a search and you will find lots of info on this site about these units. I got mine for $3,000 OTD with the floating deck.

To answer the question about the difference between the fixed and floating, the fixed has spring activated pins you pull out and adjust the deck up and down. On the fixed, there are 4 pegs that the deck hangs on and is held in place by large straight retaining pins. Either design is great as it takes me all of about 20 seconds to adjust the height on my floating deck.
  7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

i'd have two gravely ,,36 wb and 144 zero turn and love both of them..its cut great and no problem with it ,,,i have pic of my 144 but no pic of my wb yet Jun18091.JPG (142.8 KB)

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

sharp looking machine you have there Pat
  10. dillrob

dillrob LawnSite Member
    from Phila

I appreciate the replies. Allot of good info.

One point of clarification, the Gravely is a leftover 2004 and the Exmark is a 2005.

At this point I am leaning toward the Gravely based primarily on the floating deck and secondly on the electric PTO. Still need to drive them though. Although I hear good things about the ECS, I am leaning in favor of the pistol grip since this is a gear drive and I may need to lean into the turns a little bit. I think I would be able to get more leverage with the wider stance of the pistol grip.

Does this make sense, or is the ECS with a gear drive just as easy to use (or easier) then the pistol grip?