Better deck cleaning?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlpineLandscpMaint, Apr 11, 2003.

1. AlpineLandscpMaint

AlpineLandscpMaint LawnSite Member

Many of you have said they have spring deck cleaning issues. Grass building up....I once had a push mower that had a hook up on the deck to attach a garden hose...You turn on the water with the blade engaged and man did it clean the deck good...Does anybody think this same idea might work on a bigger deck? Mid mounts suck crawling under there to scrape....any thoughts?

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to have a TORO 25" that had one of those. Now, on my big toyz, I just put a garden hose with a rain spray head on the ground, put the mower dexk ALL the way down, start 'er up, then turn the hose on. I always run the engine full throt. when I do this. When I'm done, I put some WD-40 on the deck spindles so they dont rust out-just in case.

atlantec landscaping logo-small.jpg

3. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

I just use a pressure washer......

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

About every 2 days (sometimes sooner) we hoist the mower up and clean it out with a putty knife and then we armor all the mower. I always feel that appearance with us in the business is a killer. The better looking the machines, the better reputation will spread. We actually do some touch up paint now and then on the mowers. It makes it look like you have a new mower out there everyday.

I have tried the water cleaning before and to me it was just too messy.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Tiedman...speaking of Armorall...I have a friend who keeps telling to wax my mowers,...he does his a couple times a year and he swears that it greatly reduces grass sticking to the upper surfaces.....anyone do this??...good lord now with everything else I do I ned to wax my mowers!!!! geeeeezzz....one more reason why we should charge every bit and maybe more than a plumber...we have a whole lot more equipment and balls in the air than MR Roto Rooter