1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better edger-Stick or Walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fvstringpicker, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I'm tired of edging with a trimmer cocked sideways. What's better to use--a heavy duty walk behind or a stick edger? Tried the search but got played out after reading 50 or so out of 1169 hits.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have to say stick...we use both now and then, but for curves I would have to say stick.
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Have both stick & w/b edgers. Each has it's own use.
    For normal 'usual' day to day use, the stick edger is far superior. Speed, ease of use, portability, blades real cheap and easy to change. Curves/irregularities are no problem at all.

W/B shine when it comes to creating an edge on unkempt properties. Esp. when there's a layer of soil that must be cut also.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I pull out the wb edger to do the heavy edged jobs. I take my stick edger with me every day it's not wet and use it for all other jobs. Edging with the stick edger is quick and easy if the edge has already been established. Each has its own use.

5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: first 2 cuts of the year we use the w/b, other than that we use the stick
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Put an EDGIT on your string trimmer.