Better gas mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Kut Kreator, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Kut Kreator

Kut Kreator LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a 99 f-250 v10, and I'm trying to figure out a way to get better gas mileage. I've been told that if I change the air filter to a K&N, also add a chip and change the exhaust system that I would definately see a change. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

tornado fuel saver i ordered one for my buddy f250 he swears by it k&n is a good idea to for the cheapest price i found was 48.00
    rickdistribution.com/tornado.html or call1877-294-0273

3. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

They had the Tornado Fuel Saver on one of our local TV stations on a program called "Does it work?" They did not see any difference in fuel mileage by adding it. A K& N filter may get better air flow and increase the mileage by a small bit but changing the chip and exhuast would only help your horse power. I did this to a 92 Chevy 1500 (None work truck) to add HP. K&N filter, High Perform chip and free flow dual exhaust. Fuel Mileage got worse cause I kept my foot on the pedal more often.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Sell it! :) Get a diesel.

5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

If your a ford man then get a PSD with 354 gears.

6. YardMeister

YardMeister LawnSite Member

What is the gas mileage on your Ford truck with the V-10?

I have been negotiating over the past week, with a local dealer on a new F350. They keep trying to sell me one with a V-10.

The truck I am trying to buy is a 2-wheel drive, short bed, extended cab, V-8 with manual 6-speed tranny running the 4.10 locking differential.

My trailer is only at 4500lb, and we have no real hills to climb in eastern NC. Don't want the diesel either.

7. mosynthetics

mosynthetics LawnSite Member

You might try switching your truck to synthetic oil. The two most popular are AMSOIL and Mobile 1. As you can see by my sig I am partial to the AMSOIL.

I picked up 2 mpg on my gas hog 02' Ram 360 and dropped my engine temp by 2 needle widths on the idiot guage. Not a bad return on little investment.

AMSOIL's service interval on their 10W-30 and 5W-30 oils are 1 year or 25,000 with a filter change mid-point. I am running my truck (towing most of the time) 15,000.

Check out my website if you want more info. The oil & 2 filters costs about $60 delivered.

AMSOIL also offers a 2-cycle 100:1 Premix.

Barry Crudup

8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

There are a few ways to improve your fuel mileage but its hard to get the return on you investment. I read an article about a magazine upgrading a Crew-Cab Ford with all the bells and whistles. They gave a review of the gas mileage and performance of each add-on. I will try to dig up that report. Here are a couple of things to check out though.

http://www.gearvendors.com/fdrive.html

http://www.usgear.com/dual_range.htm

Jeff

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Fords are notorious for poor gas mileage...I should know...I have 2 of them...9-10 mpg while trailering....and I baby them...no fast starts/stops. It makes me nuts. If I buy any new trucks in the future, it will be diesel...even if I get sticker shock when looking at the price. These were both bought used...great trucks, but man are they thirsty.
    Have had 3 different mechanics look at them..changed plugs even though the platinum plugs are good for 70k, new filters, different fuel, carburetors cleaned, play with tire pressures....nothing helped. Just a fact of life I'm told.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't get what people think when they buy a big block engine or a V-10 and figure it should get good fuel mileage you probably knew it would get bad mileage but you bought it anyhow. You are just gonna have to live with the fuel consumption if you want a truck with power.

My old 460 used to get 5-6mpg loaded or empty it was a pig but it had good power no problems getting my truck grossing 16,000lbs rolling.

If you want power and good mileage you are gonna have togo diesel it is the only way around it.