Better miles using higher octane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siklid1066, Jun 17, 2008.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

Buck for buck can you get better gas mileage for high octane gas?What about mowers ect?

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

not true unless your engine specifically requires a higher octane; you are just throwing $$ out of the window.

3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Nope! I tried 87 and 93 in my Ford and got the same fuel economy.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You are better off to change the oil.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

One of my dealers recommends running higher octane fuel in mowers and other equipment. I run premium diesel in my truck and notice a little bit better fuel economy than with regular diesel. As for gas in cars we try and use Shell. Once we started using Shell we noticed that we can get about 30 more miles per tank.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

The only lawn equipment that I've been told by the dealer requires mid-grade gas is the ECHO BP blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer that I have ... and when I looked in the manuals it said the same thing, so I use mid-grade in those things. Other than that, I don't have any other equipment that requires a higher octane, so I don't use it becuae like the others in this thread have said ... you're throwing you're money away !!

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

BTW, my apology because I forgot to say that i think this observation may not be entirely correct !! You see, I got a 50cc Scooter last that gets 105 MPG and the Scooter only cost $ 1,000 brand new ... I'm not sure, but I think that "buck for buck" my Scooter may be the better deal.

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it a chinese made one? I saw one last week. Nice!

9. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I've been told that higher octane fuel has less ethanol in it. Can anyone confirm that?

I know that ethanol has affected my MPG by almost 15% in my cars.

10. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Well,

Ethanol can drive the Octane up. But you get less MPG out of it.

Cheap high octane used to be high ethanol blends. Now, they all have ethanol. At least in my area. Some farm area's that are away from large cities still have 100% gas.

A lot of big refinery's don't blend the fuel. They just make it and pump it out. Others buy it and add there additive package and Ethanol.

Octane is adjustable at the Refinery. Part of desulfurization of fuels leads to lower octane. So they have to run it back through a reformer to get the Octane up. They now have hybrid units that take out the Sulphur without loosing octane. One less step. But, they are new units so a lot of investment.

And, There is gas in diesel and diesel in gas. They are just different length carbon chains. No way to remove 100% of it.

Supposedly, refinery's are loosing money on Gas now. Diesel is what is making the money.