better mower question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by scatterbrain, Jun 25, 2006.

1. scatterbrain

scatterbrain LawnSite Member

Howdy,
    I just started my part time mowing business. I am a mailman during the day and mow yards after work. I starting using my personal mower (22" push Murray 4.5 Briggs & Stratton). I am not loving the finished product. I don't want to buy a huge lawn tractor, this is just a temporary thing right now, but I do want to give my clients the best job possible. I find the Murray leaves a lot of blades sticking up after I mow. I sometimes go back over the yard in a cross cut fashion and it still leaves more blades than I would like. Almost seems like there is very little vacuum sucking the blades up. What would y'all recommend as a good all around mower that will leave my yards looking great? I'm the mailman...not the moneyman.
    Thank you,
    scatterbrain
    houston, Tx

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Go to eBay and buy a used 'F' engine Lawn Boy Aluminum deck, staggered wheel mower...You will NOT regret it and will have a B-E-A-UTIFUL cut that simply cannot be beat...Make sure you use the mulching plate as well...Here is a cut I just did with my Lawn Boy (which ALL Lawn Boy engines are commercial...

The Doctors House.jpg

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my machine...

126453437.jpg

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Or, if you want to stay with the inexpensive ones and cannot find a used one, a TroyBilt (or Yardman) with the mulch/bag deck setup mulches pretty good for a residential mower. MTD has recently come out with their own engine though this year, and the deck that those are on are crap.. very shallow. Find a deeperish deck and you should be ok. Also, keep a few extra blades on hand to change to throughout your yards.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How sharp are your blades

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

That was my first thought. Even a cheap mower shouldn't be doing that.

7. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Most homeowner machines are set way too low to cut well. Get a tach and set your revs around 3600 or so as this is fairly safe for the engine and puts it in a good operating range.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

that tach will cost more than his murray is worth!!

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

$399-New Three Speed Honda WB 21" at your local home depot, they are great mowers! quadracut blade system rocks!

10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: Still a good tool to have anyway:)