1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better oil than B&S SAE30?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fritowrdo, Dec 31, 2007.

1. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

Now that winter is here is there a better oil out there than the B&S SAE30 that I currently use in my Toro 22164 with the FJ180V and my Snapper PW3000 with the 7HP OHV Intek B&S?

The oil has been fine and there have been no issues with it. It is also what my dealer recommends but was wondering if Mobil1 or AMSoil would be better?

I used to use Quaker State 2 stroke oil in my 50:1 snow blower but when I bought my Echo SRM210 I bought a couple bottles of Echo Powerblend. I started using the Echo Powerblend oil and the unit smoked less and performed better. Or maybe Quaker State 2 stroke oil is just junk?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

that oil will be fine, really any ase certified oil will be just fine for that engine. Sure you could get longer life using a synthetic with correct filter and change intervals; however for that application i don't think it would be all that cost effective.
  3. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Synthetic oil has its benefits over conventional oil. Cooler running, easier starting in cooler weather and virtually eliminates sludge in your crankcase. Yes it costs more, but it helps those engines last longer. Check out the Amsoil ASE Small Engine Oil.
  4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Save the money on the synthetic and just change oil and filter at recommended intervals or before. Don't forget the air filter