Better on hills--Stander or WB.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnnyRocker, Jan 3, 2010.

?

Which one of these would you rather use on a fairly steep hill?

1. A stander of your choice.

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. A walk-behind of your choice.

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

I know there has been posts about this. So why not have a new one, right? Great! So which type of mower ,in your opinion, is more suitable for hilly situations? Thank you for any input.

2. LawnboyTim

LawnboyTim LawnSite Member

I havent ever used a stand on mower, but I do have Walkbehinds and they work great on the hills I mow, they seem the safest to me.

3. JohnnyRocker

I'm from canton, good to hear from akron!

4. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

What can easily happen when walking down a steep wet hill / slope ? slip or fall.

Don't worry about that on a stander.

5. JohnnyRocker

I hear ya Bob. I have had a couple situations with a 48 stander that were not good. But I think it's due to the thinner wheels and closer wheel base on the particular one I was on. I have had better luck with a similar machine that had a wider wheel base, plus a bit wider tires. Thanks for the input so far you guys.

6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My 48" fixed deck stander is my choice for the steep hills. I can mow hills that I wouldn't try with my 36" Toro WB. Not that the Toro is bad, it is just that the Stander is really really good.

7. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Depends on the conditions for me. If the hill is fairly steep then I'll use the walk-behinds, but if it's not, then I'll use my standers. And if any hill is wet, then I'm using the walk-behinds no matter what.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

standers have always been better fur us. i love my 48 fixed decks. i can mow some very serious hills that others here shy away form, wet or dry. i find dry to be more dangerous and easier to loose traction.

9. JohnnyRocker

Great feedback so far.

10. JohnnyRocker

Don't forget to cast your vote in the poll.:usflag: