1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better on hills--Stander or WB.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnnyRocker, Jan 3, 2010.

Which one of these would you rather use on a fairly steep hill?

1. A stander of your choice.

16 vote(s)
  2. A walk-behind of your choice.

26 vote(s)
  1. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

That's cool, I have noticed the opposite, but I think it has a lot to do with which style,size,etc...
  2. JohnnyRocker

Polls are neato! :usflag:
  3. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

on steep hills you can muscle w/b (basically assist or balance it) with the handlebars, sulky - helps as counterweight
    with sulky you can go on w/b nose down the hill as on frontmunt mower, where other - can only slide : )))
    when you need more weight on the front - you just step-off, you can maneuver it, no matter what traction each wheel has
  4. JohnnyRocker

Then you should vote for the WB in the poll. :usflag:
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

thanks johnny. it is my opinion, but there ARE several factors like operator weight, height, experience, deck size, tire size. you get the idea. but in MY experience, well you read the post!:)
  6. S&S Outdoor Services

S&S Outdoor Services LawnSite Member

We won't have our stand on for a few more months but the Toro grandstands allow you to flip up the deck so you can stand or walk behind in sticky situations. With my experience (none) I vote for the stand on.
  7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have extensive experience with the Wright Stander and limited experience with the Toro Grandstand but I would bet that stepping off of the mower when on a hill will be a detriment to the hill holding capacity. It will take the weight off of the drive tires and the machine will get front heavy. It will then tend to nose downhill and, with no weight on the drive tires, it will do so and you can pick it up at the bottom.
  8. greatdanerunner

greatdanerunner LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Great Dane and it is worthless going down or side to side. My Scag TT is just about as good my hydro wb.
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

the wrights are very good on hill, and the other great dane and knock off are worthless. the grandstand is great as i hear from guys here as the operator platform is behind the tires, if you step off you WILL decrease traction.
  10. JohnnyRocker

Grassman, what style and size stander(s) do you use?