1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Better on hills--Stander or WB.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnnyRocker, Jan 3, 2010.

?

Which one of these would you rather use on a fairly steep hill?

1. A stander of your choice.

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. A walk-behind of your choice.

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

that's what determines hill climbing capacity and that's why you have handlebars; tend to keep nose up; if incline too steep - mower will pop-up wheelie - rider will flip-ower; if you walking it - you just put front back on the ground and continue;

with w/b you have control on front-to-rear distribution(and drive)-when you need it :
    - step-off: front heavy (good for hills - up); slope sideways - sulky travel (flex) in vertical dimension; in horizontal acts as counterweight;
    - step-on: rear heavy, good for hills -down traction; - up hill in reverse; front wheel traction (front brakes) - for deceleration and u-turns

with stander- your weight distribution pretty much limited to midmount mower

handlebars on w/b (far behind driving wheels) - gives you leverage to manoeuvre mower (basically to help balance, assist wheels with not enough traction); try do that (or to turn) stander by it's "handlebars"

you can pick-up w/b front wheels on w/b and go over numerous obstacles on two wheels (big rocks, mulchbads, treetrunts ) - try to rise front wheels and walk stander
    if i wasn't done it myself - it hard to believe what even 52''(not that light) w/b can do...

2. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean by "front brakes"? I agree with everything you said. I'm a little confused though, does your machine have front brakes?

3. demhustler

dynamic braking - you stepped in - drive wheels on the front (actually on the middle: )))
    step -off - (mower by itself) - drive wheels rear

we all know - on breaking (deceleration) rear wheels has very little traction - car or bike with front brakes will stop, while with rear would keep rolling ... (skidding (or not) wouldn't help - at all : )))

p.s. plus all this gives w/b ability to minimize damage to the ground - not matched by stander (or rider)

4. demhustler

well, sulky and handlebars leverage gives ability to control mower using your weigh and hands much more than wiggling your body on the platform : )))))

5. BEACH BOY

BEACH BOY LawnSite Member

What's are hill's ?

48* global warming my ass !!!

6. demhustler

that's when you hillbillied w/b to stand on it
    (and than try sell it as a hill(billy)"surfer" : ))))

7. JohnnyRocker

48? You need to go to the beach!

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we use 48 in 17 kaw fixed deck standers. we have one of the new ones with a 19hpkaw that has not seen grass yet.

we also have a 36 stander but it is not the best on hills like the 48, but is better than our wright 36 walk mower. go figure, the stander even in 36in is better than the ame companies walk behind.

9. JohnnyRocker

I have that 36 wright wb also. It is a belt drive, so that's a factor as well. The 48 rapid height has a more narrow wheel base, thus not as good on hills as zk, imo.

10. JohnnyRocker

Oh yeah, here's a bump for the polls. Vote.