1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better on hills--Stander or WB.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnnyRocker, Jan 3, 2010.

Which one of these would you rather use on a fairly steep hill?

1. A stander of your choice.

16 vote(s)
  2. A walk-behind of your choice.

26 vote(s)
  1. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

some w/b handles nasty even on the flat...
    average and edge performance - might be different - some extreme spots might be even not worth it - easier (faster, safer or just less pain in the s.) to knock it down with the trimmer and forget about it
    -all will depend on proportion and form overall opinion (what will overweight)
  2. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

" I have limited experience with Toro Grandstand " That's obvious to anybody that has experience on a Grandstand.

Is that the sales pitch the Wright dealer gave you ?

Now stepping off when CLIMBING hills will effect it's climbing ability, especially on wet/muddy turf. Better to have your weight over the drive tires
    to aid in traction.

I have been on some very steep slopes and have slid down a few times,usually no more than a few feet. If you don't panic you should not have to "pick it up at the bottom ".
  3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Wow, I think I may have touched a nerve here.

All I am saying is that when you walk behind the Grandstand instead of standing on it, it will change the weight distribution ratio. The front will hold a higher percentage of the weight. As such, when you are going across a hill, it will tend to nose down because the front wheels are non-steering.

Solution: Keep standing on it.

Next, I am going to get in trouble for saying that the Grandstand is red.

BEACH BOY LawnSite Member

MY LAWN :laugh:
  5. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

I know where you are, I lived in Clearwater for a few years.
  6. JohnnyRocker

Bump for the polls.:usflag:
  7. JohnnyRocker

Poll bump.
  8. pkra12

pkra12 LawnSite Member

I started with a 48 inch wright stander and now have a grandstand.I think the toro is by far the better of the two standers on hills, especially since you can use the toro as a walk behind on the steepest hills