Better on Hills?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by richm23, May 23, 2004.

1. richm23

richm23 LawnSite Member

Which does better on Hills? A stander or a sentar.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Judging from looking at them, I would have to guess that would depend on the direction you were traveling. Due to weight bias I would say that standing on both the Stander would probably do better every way but up. But I can't confirm that, just a good guess.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have both. The stander can go up, down, and across hills up to 45 degrees. Going up is a little harder the steeper the angle. You just have to lean forward to keep the front end down. The sentar can almost keep up with the stander. I haven't put it on some of the hills I have with the stander, since i don't have a lot of run time on it. So I haven't maxed it out yet. I have to get a feel for the machine first.

4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I bet your stander will go down a 90 degree hill better than up a 45 degree hill :)

5. Hrock

Hrock LawnSite Member

I just got a sentar saturday and am still feeling it out also but the hills i did put it on it handled pretty well, but it was leaving gouge marks on steep ones (going sidways) I bet the stander does just as well if not better I know with a surfer you can go up a 45 degree hill surprisingly well

6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guy's even know what a 45 degree hill looks like? My Hustler Super Walk-behind will go up a 90 degree hill.(Just as long as it isn't over 8'') joke!!
    45 degees is very steep!

7. Hrock

Hrock LawnSite Member

-----------------------------------e
    ---------------------------------l
    ------------------------------g
    ---------------------------n
    ------------------------a
    ---------------------e
    ------------------e
    ----------------r
    ------------ g
    ----------e
    ------d

close enough?

8. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I find it hard to believe that a stander can go across a 45 degree hill also. I am not saying that it couldn't but I would have to see it to believe it. Let's see a picture with it sitting on a 45 degree slope with a level across the bars.

9. Hrock

Hrock LawnSite Member

you'ld be surprised

10. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

Not only would I be surprised but I would be very impressed. It seems that nobody ever seems to post any pics with their machine on a true 45 degree angle. I run a turf tracer and I mow one bank that might be around 30 degrees and it tries to slide down it if I am not real careful.