Better Outdoor Products Going Out of Business ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerKing10, Jul 11, 2012.

1. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

Is BOP going out of business? You can't order any mowers on their website. I originally checked in March and it still says sold out for 2011 or temporarily unavailable. You can still order the push blowers though.

2. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, or whatever niche/core competencies they believe they have are being absorbed by a company that wants to succeed.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This transition has played out for far too long. I did own a Better Quick (and liked it), but sold it and picked up a TTHP for fear customer support and parts availability may suffer.
    I am not sure Better is ever coming back now.
    And I am liking the TTHP too much to go back. Hard for me to imagine saying that after my decent experience with BOP.

4. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

Never owned one of their products, but it seemed they made a good mower. They advertised it being a lot lighter than other commerical mowers.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm having dinner tonight with a banker that specializes in mergers and acquisitions. I'm going to get his opinion on what might be going on at BOP.

6. kennc38

kennc38 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think it will do much good unless you know more details of what is "really" going on at BOP. I'm still guessing that he's simply looking for investors and hasn't found any takers yet. Would be interested to hear what he has to say though if he can give any input based on the limited information we have. Good luck.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, we had one..... I could not get it to cut right. spent several hours with them trying to figure it out. come to find out I knew more about the machine than they did.

I was surprised to see them last as long as they did......

there's a reason compnays go out of business.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

they would have been bettr off to come out with a 32 first to take advantage of the gate crasher market.

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Can we still order parts?

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

They had a failed business plan from the gitgo. There was no way they could build the business with only direct sales. Direct sales, (thus no dealers), is not a plan that will succeed for commercial mowers.